Cedar St.

I have neared in on Cedar Street, a street running north to south within the cedar village apartment complex in East Lansing.  This block contains both apartment buildings that are part of the Cedar Village complex, as well as houses being rented out.  The street itself is made of cement, and is replete with cracks.  A sidewalk on either side provide a path for pedestrians.  On the south end of the street, I can see pieces of furniture heaped up in the street, being organized by a couple of gentlemen.  There must have been a truck that dropped it off earlier.  I can see two men parked in a work van, one of them puffing on a cigarette.  They might be waiting to set off to go do another job.  Apart from the previous people, I see no other people out and about on the street.  On the east side of the street are two Cedar Village apartment buildings, followed by houses, stopping just before Grand River Avenue.  The brick buildings are rectangular, and have protruding, covered balconies.  The houses vary in shape, size, and color, but most have at least one car parked on the driveway.  On the west side of the street are more rectangular apartment buildings, but some are different from the ones across.  These buildings look newer, and their balconies run parallel, rather than perpendicular to the street.  There are walkways leading into each of the buildings doors on either side of the street.  There are also grassy areas between each of the buildings and the sidewalk.  Along the street are many trees, bushes, and other landscaping plants.  Many of the trees are tall and large.  Some of the others are smaller.  There are multiple different kinds of trees too.  Some of the buildings are landscaped with wood chips as well.  Most of the houses have trees in their front lawns, but some just have bushes.  Some have both.  It is clear that the activity that has ensued on Cedar St. is representative of a residential zone.  The people that are around are dressed like regular people.  The houses and apartments are reflective of the atmosphere in which they exist: a university.  The income level of most of the people around Cedar St. is probably average, which shows in the cars and  the condition of the houses and apartments.  There are no really fancy cars, yet most of them look to be in good condition.  The apartments do not look too upscale, but no doubt are in high demand because of their close proximity to campus.  20160706_114118

2 thoughts on “Cedar St.

1. I really liked how detailed your descriptions were; I could really picture the area in my mind and was able to get a feel for what the environment must have been like. I also liked your inferences; they were logical and show that you were really thinking and observing deeply. However, I noticed some of the words you used sort of present a judgment about the thing you’re describing; I’m not saying this to nitpick at all, I just think it is useful to know for future reference/assignments. For example, at one point you described buildings as appearing “newer.” Perhaps next time instead of using that word, you could describe what makes the building look that way? Again, I am not trying to be rude or nitpick, I just think it is something to keep in mind for next time. Also, I like how you explained what made you infer the residents had an average salary.

2. I found it interesting that you noted how close it was to campus and how that might have influenced the street and the activity on it. The detail about physical structures is great and your ability to be descriptive is important when “writing it up”. I can agree with the previous comment that you might want to be careful when using terms like “regular”, but I think I’m guilty of using that term in daily life as well. Reading it in a post brings to light what our lecture said about accidentally applying terminology that might have an ambiguous meaning behind it. What might be regular to me, might not be to someone else. For example, I could find shorts and a t-shirt “regular”, but someone else that wears a burka might find that irregular. One thing that is interesting to note is that you didn’t see any animals or at least include them in your description. I didn’t see any animals on my street, and I wonder if it has something to do with being so close to the city? Maybe we don’t notice animals like birds or chipmunks because we see them so often near campus. Just a side note because I think the interaction between humans and animals is interesting, and it would be neat to see how an outsider depicted the scene.