D. Mao — Week One — Block Map

For this Block Map assignment, I choose to visit Xihe Street on July 5th, 2016. Xihe Street is located in Ningbo, China. There are many stores located in both side of the street. On the west side, there are one restaurant called Chun He Restaurant, four cloth stores, one public lavatory and one fruit store. Because I visited Xihe Street at noon, so there were not many people on the street. However, there were many people walking in to the Chun He Restaurant. Many people were wearing T-shirts due to the high temperature. One hour later, when there were not many people in the restaurant, one cooker who wearing a uniform walked out of the restaurant and started to smoke on the street. There was one camphor tree near him so he can hide in the shade of the tree to avoid sun light. During the time I visiting the street, I saw many people walked through the street. Many of them walked fast to their destinations and did not look at stores located on the street. However, one young mother and her son walked into the fruit store to choose fruits. This fruit store is small and old. Because one air-conditioner was working in the store to keep temperature low, there was one air curtain machine located on the front door to keep hot air away from the store. On the east side of the street, there were a restaurant and a housing estate. Unlike Chun He Restaurant, this restaurant located on the east side of the street is a luxury restaurant. Architecture style of this restaurant is French court style. There were four beautiful ceremonial usherettes who wearing purple and gold cheongsams stand on the front door to welcome guests. There were about forty flowers in front of the restaurant. Near the restaurant is a housing estate called Center Garden. Like the restaurant, the architecture style of the Center Garden is also French court style. The front door is about eight meters tall. Two pillars look really old. In the Center Garden, I saw a small artificial lake. There was a fountain in the lake. In addition, about twenty fancy carps swim in the lake. These fancy carps look really beautiful, some of them have gold and black figures and some of them have gold and red figures. Due to the summer vacation, there were many kids playing near the lake. Many kids were wearing T-shirts and shorts. Many parents and grand-parents were holding sunshades and saw these kids playing. Some parents talked to each other about the weather and how their kids’ performance in the school. Even though temperature is high, all kids and their parents were having fun.

20160709_101218

4 thoughts on “D. Mao — Week One — Block Map

1. Hi there! I think it’s awesome that you are in China. It sounds like people are pretty focused on getting where they are going. I love the piece about the mother and the young boy. I love the fact that they are spending quality time together. Taking in the sights and sounds… sort of like this assignment. We were asked to understand the little things in everyday life with this assignment. So often we look over them. I think that it would have been interesting to know how the lake in your observation was ‘artificial’. If that could have been explained more that would have been great. But overall I think that you were very detailed in your description of your assignment and I can appreciate your perspective.

2. Hey, great post! Having visited India a few times in the past, I can definitely imagine the heat and temperature levels you did a very good job of explaining through all your imagery. The hurriedness of people on the street you were on was oddly relatable, to my time in India as well. I especially liked the bit about the two people shopping in the fruit stand, and it took me right back to streetside fruit & vegetable markets both abroad and at home. I really appreciated how you managed to describe the juxtaposition of the Chun He Restaurant and the Center Garden. To me, it really illustrates the income gap that can be found in a lot of Asian countries, and it’s really cool to see that it’s present with something as simple as restaurants too. That said, I still think it’s a very accurate description of many places in second-tier, developed countries. There’s always an unspoken battle of old & historical vs. modern & lavish. Many places that seem old aren’t necessarily always low-income and many of the newer places aren’t always built on the foundation of excessive wealth either. I think your restaurant example explains this very well, and I liked the entire post altogether as well.

3. You had a very detailed description about how the buildings looks like in the street, and you also observed carefully about the people, what they are doing and why they did that, although most of those are just normal daily life that everyone would have, you give a new point of view (which is spectator) to look at it, which is very different than we experiencing it ourselves. For the air curtain machines and people standing in the shade of the tree, you’ve give very reasonable guess. I know many cities in China would have a whole block or street build in a specific style, based on your description, I think the block you’ve observed should have many buildings with French court style. You’ve mentioned about the cook came out to smoke one hour later, it shows that you have stay there for at least an hour to see more, very patient and good job!

4. Hey! i love your post. You were extremely descriptive about the landscape and it seems like you observed everything to detail. I especially like how you look upon everything as an outsider looking at the block as if you have never been to China before. You started to get extremely precise with the numbers as well, such as forty flowers or 8 meter doors. You also noticed the foreign architecture for China as it was as if they were trying to create an imitation of a French court. It also seems as though with your piece you spent quite some time there as you observed the people and overheard conversations. You stood long enough to see the children having fun and the adults talking about their lives. You explained it well as though you took the time to look at it differently and take in what we have in everyday life, which is what I believe is what this assignment meant for us to do!