E. Varghese – Week One – Block Map

20160708_213907

Dunhill Drive is a couple of miles away from my house and I rarely pass the area. When someone drives into this subdivision, you will immediately notice the vegetation surrounding the area and the winding street looking ahead. As you look around the area, you will see one small pond on the left with ducks and geese scattered around the area. As you look to the right, you will see yet another pond with maybe a squirrel or a bunny. Both ponds have a fountain spitting out water right in the middle. There will be birds chirping from every direction and people walking along the sidewalk daily. Kids will be riding their bike by the ponds, but occasionally there will be drivers who go through this subdivision just to avoid the traffic on the road and usually they’ll be speeding through it.

When I drove through this street today, the  entrance has a rock with the name of the subdivision written on it, “Buckingham Woods.” Multiple cars were parked on the side today and the sky was cloudy. It looked as if it was about to rain soon. The leaves on the trees were fluttering in the wind, but these bushes on the ground looked stiff and lifeless. As I look to my right, I see two geese and trail of goslings following behind closely. They had just jumped out of the pond as they fluff out their feathers to help them dry. These details of this specific street describe the street itself. Every detail makes this street what it is, the good and the bad. It makes this street unique and different than every other street.

One thought on “E. Varghese – Week One – Block Map

1. E. Varghese, the descriptive portions of this post accomplished its goal of painting an unbiased picture, but the conclusive element–the anthropologic perspective–portion of the post left me wanting more.

First, I want to give you credit for the descriptions of the neighborhood that were completely without notions of ethnocentrism. Although your choice of area to illustrate is within your own cultural bounds, and therefore you produced an etic description while being an insider, the way in which you conducted your adjective clarifying suggests that you understand the fundamental aspects of anthropological work.

However, to fully transition this piece of writing into a more anthropological observation I think that statements of purpose are required. What I mean by statements of purpose is: what is the purpose of noting man-made ponds? what is the purpose of noting kids playing on the street? what is the purpose of noting speeding drivers? what is the purpose of noting the number and types of cars parked in the driveways of homes? In order to make this post more anthropological you will need to make inferences about the socioeconomic conditions of the area that lead to the presence of these noted phenomena.

Overall, I think you are on the right track, and with a little work you will able to produce more quality posts!