S. Washington-Week One-Block Map

*These pictures are not Picasso-worthy, so please forgive my lack of artistic ability. Also, please understand that I attempted to map this neighbor from different angles; the center map (sky view), the upper map (close-up view), the right map, the left map, and the bottom map (attempted street view).

Location: This neighborhood is located one block before my current address. The name of the street that identifies with this neighborhood is Kedzie. The cross streets are Bogue Street and East Grand River Avenue. These streets and avenues are three of many, within the city of East Lansing, that allow traffic of cars and pedestrians to flow respectively. East Lansing is a city directly east of the city Lansing (the capital of Michigan). East Lansing is splits two different counties which are Ingham County and Clinton County. Michigan is located within the United States of America. My interpreted conditions of this neighborhood are described below:

Weather: The sun could not be seen yet day was still in effect. Rather, the sun was hidden behind clouds of grey color. The air was moist. The temperature was relatively warm and muggy. The wind was fairly calm.

Nature: The grass was green with hints of yellow, but separated by paths of cement or gravel. The yellowish areas in the grass could have appeared from being maintained by lawn machinery, or the lack of or abundance of water and moisture in the soil of the grass. The trees were mature, damp, and erected. The build of moss and width of their trunks indicated their maturity. The discoloration in wood as well as the droplets of rain showed that the trees were damp. Trees were scattered few by few at each house. Birds chirped but their sounds were faint. Insects resurfaced. Twigs, braches, and leaves were scattered throughout the neighborhood. The land was flat and the cement was in usable condition-with the exception of fallen branches blocking the path. Cemented paths were straightly constructed and had smooth texture. Water puddled areas of grass and cement, and it sludge wet dirt onto the pavements. A walker, jogger, or runner left their footprint in the

People: Individuals participated in either one or both of the activities: driving a mobile vehicle, parking a mobile vehicle, conversing with another person via cellular device, in-person communication and/or hand gestures, walking/jogging/running. Most persons appeared to be between the ages of seventeen through twenty-three. They wore clothing that revealed their skin. They spoke English, Spanish, and several Asian languages. They varied by height, hair color, weight and other distinguishable components.

Houses: Modern two to three story houses were spaced at various measurements. Some houses were closer in distance than other houses. There were twenty houses-ten on each side of the street. Each house seemed to average the capacity of three to four persons for comfort living. Each house was built differently. Some houses had garages attached to the house while others did not have a garage. Most houses were painted with some variation of white. Addresses and mailboxes were not visible to the average bypasser. Garbage cans and recycling bins were knocked over in driveways or stood against garage walls.

Kedzie Street: Signs of warning posted tall in regards to parking during certain periods of the day. Street lamps were spread out every four houses or so. Wires were strewn through high wooden posts for electricity purposes. Stops signs marked the end of one block of Kedzie street.

Sounds: When I closed my eyes I heard conversations about evening plans. Most talks were sudden near and then gone as vehicles drove by. Many talks varied in accents and languages. There was no yelling nearby. No excited expressions to be heard. As birds tweeted, sirens and horns from the vehicles of emergency medical services and law enforcement bellowed aggressively through the air. Someone coughed from their car as they drove down the two sided street of Kedzie. Brakes screeched the pavement of East Grand River Avenue as vehicles directed themselves through and with traffic; and the breakage of twigs and branches snapped, surrendering to the pressure from a vehicle’s tires.

Smells: The smell of rain filled the air. Indescribable smells such as the mixture of dampness and mugginess diffuse through the air.

Week One-Block Map Image-Anthro

4 thoughts on “S. Washington-Week One-Block Map

1. Hi S. Washington! First off, I love that you categorized your description by weather, nature, people etc. Organizing it this way allows you to express more detail and ensure that you’re not leaving out anything of importance. I think building the details within each subcategory acts as a backstory–once I was finished reading each section, I was able to work through the clear descriptions and create a full picture of the street you were observing. Aside from the organization, I like that your sentences were short and concise. Approaching the assignment this way gave adequate detail without overwhelming the reader.

In our reading, Anthropological Perspectives, the author states that it’s the responsibility of anthropologists to examine cultures within a larger context. I think you demonstrated this aspect of anthropology very well in your “Location” category. You not only mentioned the neighborhood and street you were on, but you gave context to your location by describing its place within the surrounding counties, cities and the U.S. as a whole–This proves that you’re in the anthropological mindset, by providing broad contexts that individuals from every culture can relate to, while still providing minute details that can clearly translate these cultures and take the reader on a “journey.” Really great job overall!

2. To start things off, I would first like to say that I like how you separated each of the categories, it makes it easier to read and comprehend what you were saying. With that being said, as I was looking through the content of your post, I must say that I was very impressed. As a current resident of Abbott Hall, I cross that street almost every day, and I must say that I was quite amazed at the way that you were able to describe everything in that much detail. The only small issue that I saw with this was that I wasn’t sure how what the people were doing related back to the definition of a culture that we received in our lecture videos. Even though it wasn’t necessary part of the assignment, I felt that that was just one thing that could be included for future reference. Besides that, this was well written paper. You definitely talked about the environment and how people related to it very well. Overall, great paper.

3. Dear Sheena Washington,
    First I would like to say that you did a wonderful job on your blog post. The main thing about your post that caught my attention the most was how you categorized all your topics that you were going to talk about. Made it a lot more easier to not only follow along but also to get a visualization of what you were describing. With me living near Kedzie and Bogue st, everything you described was to a T. In our reading this week of anthropological perspectives, we learned that you are to look at cultures at a bunch of smaller scales than just a bigger picture. So with you describing everything like you did, you were able to accomplish this goal. The only problem that I saw with your paper however was that you didn’t describe why some things were important to the environment you were describing. Other than that you did a wonderful job!

4. I think you did an amazing job describing this area. Using different categories helped me get a better understanding of everything happening. I really appreciate this organization, because it helps me as a read understand and interpret the environment and it helps make me feel like I’m also in the area when I’m reading it. There is a great attention to detail in each section as well and it really helps create strong imagery in my own head. I also thought it was interesting to use sound and smell in order to describe the things that were happening. I myself did not think about paying attention to these senses as much, because I was more focused on observing mainly with my eyes. Using only your eyes makes it easy to miss out on key details about the environment, so I applaud your ability to use all the senses to help get a feel for the area.