Loretta Perkins – Block Map

Walking down this path I could not help but to admire my surroundings. I have taken this path quite a few times before but never stopped to admire the beauty. It was a muggy day, it just finished raining, so there was not that much traffic on the street nor sidewalk which is exactly how I prefer it to be. I could smell the fresh soil coming from the ground, I could see the squirrels collecting their acorns that had just fallen from the trees and I could hear the sound of children laughing and giggling as they jump in and out of the puddles that the storm left behind. I noticed a couple about 15 feet ahead of me fingers intertwined as the lifted their heads back to enjoy the mist of rainfall touch their faces. Leaves were slowly falling around me and it felt more like fall in Michigan rather than a summer’s day here in Chicago, IL. I looked at the streetlights that are aligned on both sides of the sidewalk and noticed light flickering inside. This was a sign for me to start heading back to my apartment for it was clear that night was approaching. But before I headed back I took a seat on a nearby park bench and watched each streetlight flicker one by one and watched the nearby couple slowly faded away in the distance.ANP Map

2 thoughts on “Loretta Perkins – Block Map

1. Hi Loretta! I really enjoyed your description of this path, specifically because you utilized the senses so well. Describing the physical details of what you see can be very helpful in painting this picture, but describing the smell of the rain and the sound of laughing children really took it to a whole new level. Your well-rounded description made me feel like I was right there on the path with you!

The only suggestion I have for improving your post, is changing the way you describe weather. I’ve experienced the seasons in both Michigan and Chicago, so I understood your description about the fall/summer weather. However, people who are from different parts of the U.S. or the world that experience drastically different weather would not be able to relate to this description. In the reading, Anthropological Perspectives, the author mentions that it’s the job of anthropologists to translate cultures and make them understandable to others in a clear manner. Rather than discussing the weather in a context you are familiar with, an anthropological approach should describe the weather in a way everyone can relate to.

Other than this small suggestion, I think you did a really great job!!

2. Hello,
    I think that you used words beautifully to bring the reader into your own setting. I think that it is a much more effective description when you acknowledge the many ways that people actually experience things which is not just through our eyes. We smell things, we recall the temperature, and maybe even things we tasted. Though we may unconsciously experience things through multiple senses this is often how we make observations of our visit as mentioned in the “Ethnographic Methods” lecture. Also mentioned in that lecture, I think you might have wanted to be more universally descriptive about what “fall in Michigan” entails. It was said that it is important that an anthropologist acknowledge what prior knowledge and experiences you bring to the observation. I also cannot help but to mention that your excerpt involved a judgment terms like “beauty” which we were advised may not serve as an unbiased description. However, I must admit that providing a description that is unbiased by prior experience, opinions of what you are viewing, and solely descriptive adjectives is a tad difficult. It is not what we are accustomed to. That is actually a difficulty that I ran into myself. Your narrative, however, was beautifully written.
    Enjoy the duration of your Sunday!
    Regards,
    Victoria