D. Liu-WeekOne-Block Map

It is July 4th at 7pm on a Monday, and I am with my family walking  along the Detroit Riverwalk beginning from the Joe Louis Arena and next to the Cobo center, where we parked. There were many cars lined up and parked along the street on Steve Yzerman Drive like us. There were many clouds but it was still fairly bright during this time. Immediately stepping on the Detroit Riverwalk, I feel a sense to see the view, people, and walk. I see families of various ethnic groups, Asians, Middle easterners,  African Americans, and Caucasians strolling and sitting on the benches close to Joe Louis Arena and on the concrete edges on the left of the Riverwalk. The families are sitting together enjoying hot dogs and other fast foods, most likely from local shops nearby.  Couples can be seen looking over the Detroit river that separates the U.S. and Canada, some are holding their loved ones closely, behind the metal railings beside the river. I imagine they were looking at the buildings across the river, such as the Caesar Casinos, lit up in bright red to attract visitors. The Ambassador bridge connecting the countries can be seen to the right of the Riverwalk facing the river, and ships and yachts can be seen cruising along. While walking, the metro train above that travels around the city may come by every now and then, and pillars can be seen holding it above and anyone on the Riverwalk can see and hear it pass by.  The river’s mini waves swish back and forth on occasion, and little fish can sometimes be seen poking and jumping out every now and then. The Riverwalk has trees lined up on our left and a red emergency telephone booth on the right, going further down there is the Detroit Princess ship. The Detroit Princess ship is a large ship tied down to it’s docking area. On this day at this time however it was closed and no activity was seen in the ship. I see people taking pictures everywhere along the Riverwalk, such as the middle aged Asian woman with a selfie stick taking photos. I sat down for a while on the black Benches in front of the Cobo center and heard various conversations taking place, such as two older black gentlemen in relaxing and leisure clothing complaining about a certain yacht cruising by. The two older men thought the young people on the Yacht were “just showing off” mentioning how many times they have seen them cruising back and forth , and then a women nearby in a laughing manner says “did he just dab”, referring to the young man on the yacht raising his hand and pointing in one direction and looking down into his shoulder for a short moment. The “dab” trend has indeed been popular among the younger generations, and the selfie stick can be seen to have a use for some people. The Riverwalk is a urban area, with lots of buildings everywhere. To the left after the Cobo center and the Detroit princes, the Hart Plaza can be seen from the Riverwalk. There are a few people sitting along a set of stairs and looking all around and seems to be relaxing. The GM building can be seen further in the distance on the left. The Riverwalk is a place that people can go to enjoy the view and breath in the clean air. At around 7:41 p.m., there were little drops of rain, and I see no one brought an umbrella, not us or the Riverwalk people.  It was time for us to leave after that.

Image (4).

3 thoughts on “D. Liu-WeekOne-Block Map

1. I like how you were able to hit all of the four sub fields of anthropology with this post. You did biological by describing how the people looked, archaeology by mentioning certain objects that were used on this holiday, linguistic by quoting what people were actually saying, and sociocultural by painting us a picture of how the people were relating to each other. This really helped to make the scene feel alive. Though if anything I would have liked to have heard some more detail on some of the things you mentioned. Like the fish, even if you did not know what kind they were, what color were they? Also I found it very professional that you gave specific times as to when you went, that made the whole thing feel a little bit more real. And finally I must commend you on your map, which was very well done with above and beyond detail such as all the roads. Thanks for the read.

2. I wonder how the people and their interactions with the physical space may be different because it was the 4th of July. It sounds like there were a wide variety of people, maybe some of them live there while others were tourists or only out because it was a holiday. As you pointed out we can see various younger cultural contributions such as the dab and the selfie stick, although the latter was used by a middle age person you said. I wonder if the reason for the families out and eating barbeque foods is because of the 4th of July since that is a popular thing to do all across the United States. I also wonder what it is that brings the people to Detroit. Was there and event or celebration? Or just come to look around and be around other people? Your descriptions give me a good image of what it was like to be there and the sort of culture that was present.

3. I like the way you describing the places; the breeze, the weather, the waves and the activity of the people there. It is specific and I can imagine it clearly in my mind. When you were describing the various ethnic groups at that place, I can say that people used the July 4th holiday with staying outside and enjoying the scenery. When you include about the selfie stick and the ‘dab’ trend, it is shown that people are up-to-date with what’s trending nowadays. The selfie stick might be more popular among Asian and the ‘dab’ trend mostly popular among the youngster. In your writing, maybe you should describe more about the Detroit Princess ship. How big it is, what color it is, or how is the design. Furthermore, describe the main attraction at the Detroit Riverwalk that makes people wanted to pay a visit there. However, you ended your writing quite well when you mentioned about the rain. It makes the writing being completed well.