K.McGee-Aubrey_Week 2_Systems of Difference

In the United States the concept of race is in my opinion one of the biggest factors that people use to create differences between people, and has to be by far one of the top that has historically caused conflict. The  definition of race describes race as something culturally constructed, and is not based on biology or genetics. A lot of people believe that people use these differences involving “race” to build a hierarchy in the world, but the thing is the hierarchy only starts with race and builds off of all of the other differences that exist between people.   Because of the historical rule of primarily Anglo-Saxons, people with certain features  were, and still are associated with success and are at the top of the hierarchy. This continues to cause more of a search for differences and a conflict between people because of the idea of one certain people being more valuable to society because of how they look or their “race” when it shouldn’t come down to this at all. The thing about it is that race is only the beginning of where the differences are looked at now people or pointing out individual features such as body type and eyes shape noses, all of these things just to provide a standard for society that no one will live up to. I have always been someone who tries not to judge people at all and in my eyes pointing out every little differences in someone is not productive and could turn into this, but in another since our differences make us who we are and we should be proud of them no matter what. No two human beings were made to be the exact same even those who were born identical twins. I think as people it is important to embrace our difference but in the same thought realize that no one person is better than another for those differences, not one feature or race should be superior to another. Its obvious that today issues that people thought were in the pass are still very relevant and stereotypes are beginning to form. Now this in my eyes stems from those differences we have. Because although you have that difference from one person you may share it with another and another and then all of a sudden people think all people like you share that feature. Games like the one in the content for the week become uncomfortable to play because on what grounds or facts are you determining what race you think these people are? It starts to open your eyes on the things you think about people that you didn’t notices and brings to light some unintentional opinions you hold.

2 thoughts on “K.McGee-Aubrey_Week 2_Systems of Difference

1. I definitely agree with your point that in U.S.., race is the heated issue to cause the most of conflicts and is the direct factor to assume a people’s group. Race is the reason to create the difference and gap between each group. In my culture, most of people come from the same ethnicity, so we hardly discuss this issue. Different biological and genetic factors cause people have different traits; they have different eyes shapes or nose height, but the point makes each person’ difference is not only the physical traits. People build hierarchy to each race and assume each group should have their certain traits. Many people observe others by their physical traits rather than other characteristics and use some prejudice to describe a group of people; the reason of that I think is physical traits is the easiest and superficial way to describe a person. Cultures, experiences, belief and temperaments are all valuable elements of a person.

2. I like how you focus on the point of race as a difference the whole time. This makes the blog post flow very well. Also I like how you sprinkled in facts from the lectures. It was not shoe horned in and fit right in, supplying the reader with just enough information to understand the point you are trying to get across. Though if I had to question anything, it would be your film. Am I missing it, or was there not one chosen? There are plenty of examples that could easily help prove your point with a dash of modern day culture. Also your questions hit the nail right on the head. It bluntly asks us the question that does not want to be raised. This really puts race into perspective and makes me want to question myself before judging others. Good job, and very good analysis of the subject matter.