D. Mao – Week 4 – Kinship Charts

Kinship Charts

Trends:

1)  There are two couples are divorced in my mother’s family and two couples are divorced in my father’s family.

2) There are more female in my mother’s family and there are more male in my father’s family.

3) The second generation is way bigger than third generation. The main reason is during the second generation period, there was no birth control in China. Therefore, people make more babies. However, during the third generation period, China started to implement birth control. Therefore, we can see there is only one children for each couple.

4) There are four couples divorced in my parents’ family. Three of them remarried and one of them did not remarry.

5) Because all third generation are not marry yet, divorce only occurred in first and second generation.

7 thoughts on “D. Mao – Week 4 – Kinship Charts

1. Although it’s exceptionally ethnocentric of me, I have to admit that I don’t think I’ve ever thought about the divorce rates in other countries. In the United States it’s around 50% (based just on what I know; that could be inaccurate) and I guess before now I’ve just always thought about divorce on a global scale using the information I have about my own national averages. I expect that wasn’t even what this assignment was supposed to teach us, but it is really interesting how looking at the kinship groups of others can help us understand how the “other” tends to be something we don’t think about as often as we might imagine. The situation (not that there are any actual parallels) reminds me of how I felt watching Village without Women. I don’t mind admitting that I did not understand the appeal, nor most of the message, of the movie, but what I did get from it with clarity was how odd it is to see a culture through the eyes of a person with wholly different kinship experiences.

2. Dongjie, I really enjoyed reading your post. It is always interesting to learn about differences in families and generational trends between different countries. I think you made a great point about the issue of birth control in China, and how it affected the second generation of your family. Do you think that if China did not implement birth control, if future generations would explode numbers wise. Is it a common practice would you say to get divorced and remarry? I know from experience that I usually see divorced couples stay single for the rest of their lives. But that is coming from a very small sample size. Would you say you usually see more families in China dominated by females or males? I know you said there are more females within your family, so I think it would be interesting to see if that is a trend within China. My family has more males than females, and I think the main reason is there were just more sons than daughters in the second generation. I am not great at science so I could be wrong but I think that is why. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing how the different generations flowed from one to the other, and the patterns that seemed to follow them.

3. I noticed that your trends seem to be centered around divorce. That is interesting to me due to the high amount of divorce in my family too. Of all the people listed on my kinship chart, there have been nine divorces in my family. It is interesting to read about how Chinese political policy dictated the size of your family. Comparing the size of yours to the size of some of the other students, you can really see that there are cultural differences in what is expected of parents in terms of number of children. I know that recently, the Chinese government took away the one child policy, do you think that will incline yourself and your cousins to have more than one child? A similarity that we share is that both of our mother’s parents got divorced. I do not know what the thoughts on divorce were in China before the 1980s, but I know that the baby boomer generation in the US have lower rates of divorce than Gen Xers.

4. I really enjoyed reading your post, it is really interesting to me to learn about family structures and things of that nature (such as divorce, lack of access to birth control, etc.) in other nations/cultures. I also really liked how organized and clear your kinship chart is. I found it interesting that much of your family has been divorced; this struck out to me because my parents are divorced, but they are the only people on either side of my family to get a divorce. I also think it is interesting how you noted that the second generation is bigger due to the lack of access to birth control during that time period. It is definitely interesting to see the affects laws have on families, especially when it is on such a personal and monumental level. My family is the same as your’s in that there are more females on my mom’s side and more males on my dad’s side.

5. Hello Dongjie,
    I thought the fact about the birth control implementation was interesting. I know it use to be that people in China were only suppose to have two children at the most if I am not mistaken, but in the last year they reversed that, so now people may have more children. Do you think people will have more children now? If so, is the next generation in your family going to get bigger? Or maybe the people in your family do not want a lot of children. The politics in China around childbirth are very interesting. Is divorce prominent in China? Is remarriage? You have a couple of remarriages in your family, so i would assume it is as common in China as in America. I would be interested to see how normal adoption in China is. Thanks for the post, it is always interesting seeing how kinship may differ from country to country!

6. This is an interesting family tree you have posted here. You did a good job with outlining the 5 trend that you saw in your lineage. You point out in number three that the second generation is way bigger than the third generation. I wonder if there is a general trend across populations of decreasing in the amount of offspring as time goes on. I know that in general, developed nations tend to move towards a flat population, but I’m curious as to whether or not there is general decrease in the amount of offspring people are having in recent history, especially considering environmental, monetary, and other concerns that may have been exacerbated in recent times or for more people.

7. I thought your trends that you called out were very good points. My family generations also thin out the closer you get to me and my siblings. I think a large part of that is my family being from Haiti. My mother only had one brother but my dad was one of six, 2 of the past when my dad was a teenager so I did not include them in my chart but the others I have met. My grandmother is one of eleven. In my home country people had more children, I think people started having less because my family migrated to America were it is more complex to raise a child. I think that definitions of kinship is also changing between generations. So essentially maybe the generation after me and my family will start back having larger families and the value of marriage will be restored, but overall I think the ideals of kinship are individualistic and not necessarily inherited.