- My mom’s side of the family is female dominated
- Each married couple on my mom’s side remained married, and chose to have smaller families (three children at most)
- Two of my aunts chose not to have any children, leaving my brother and I as the only grandchildren; This significantly reduced the size of our next generation.
- My dad’s side of the family has a pretty equal balance between males and females
- Beginning with my dad’s generation, each separate family unit has only two children
- Another balance: Half of these family units have the same sex in their children (2 boys or 2 girls), while the other half is raising one girl and one boy (my brother and I included).