D. Alvarado – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

My Kinship Chart is kind of sad to post to say the least. I did three generation is mine, and quickly noticed some trends right off the back. The first is that my very close immediate family (all thats included in my chart) is rather small compared to a lot of others who have rather big immediate families in this class. I also never realized it but each set of my grandparents had two children, and a majority of them had two kids as well. Also that most of my cousins consists of more females than males.  Another interesting trend i noticed that I never really thought about till now, is that i’m the last male to carry the Alvarado last name. Kind of cool to know that the continuation of your last name in this region of area is on you.

4 thoughts on “D. Alvarado – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

1. I noticed some of the same trends in my family as you have in yours. Like you grandparents and their kids, there are portions of my family that all had the same number of kids. I wonder if in the same way that large cultural rules govern who you marry and what you think of as a typical family, maybe on a smaller scale family culture helps to determine how many kids you have, or maybe it is just a coincidence. You brought up an interesting point about carrying on your family name. It’s something that I have thought about a little bit in reverse because I am the last person that I know of to have my family name and as a girl there is not much that I can do about it; the name will die with me whether I have kids or not, which is kind of sad. I don’t think most people think about this much anymore, maybe because it is not as important in our culture now as it was a few generations ago.

2. In my family tree, we have lots of children, it’s a bit scary how big they can get. I see that your Kinship chart is small and likely there may be more communication. I feel that in my family, having boys is preferred, which may be why I have so many male cousins compared to you. I am from a Chinese family, and I have some Chinese friends who also have big families. It may be a culture thing, and a reason to the overpopulation in China. It’s interesting to think that many families can be even larger than mine. My last name is Liu, which is a very common name, so last names do not matter to me much, but it does sound cool to have a not so common last name. Having a divorce is less common among Chinese people, and it’s surprising to see how common it is among the other kinship charts others have posted.

3. Hi, first thank you sharing your family story. Your family chart is pretty interesting because it seems not very complex. Your family structure is showed very obviously from the kinship chart. It different from my family, your grandparents from your mother side and father side only have two children. And your uncle from your father side have three girls. As you said you probably is the only one can carry Alvarado. You said your family kinship chart is kind of sad, but I don not think so. Although in your father and mother’s generations did not have many children, I believe fewer relatives in one family are easier to keep closer with each other. And I think you are lucky because you still have a sister. In China, in my generation, we have the “one child policy” which means every family only allow to have one child. So I do not have any siblings.

4. I found it interesting that you referred to your kinship chart as sad simply because you have a small family. I feel that in today’s society it is almost viewed in style to have large families. People enjoy families that have four or more children and often think of those families as a great deal of fun. I myself come from a smaller family, but larger than you. I always view my friends with big families as favorable and think that the more family member makes for better birthday parties, family parties, etc because it is fun with more people. It is awesome you get to carry on your last name because ours will die with my sister and I. It is interesting that passing on your last name is something that people always want to do. I know that a lot of people in my neighborhood wish to have boys simply to pass on their last name and keep the family name going.