E. Varghese – Week Four – Kinship Charts

My kinship chart that I have provided is quite large.  My mother has 7 siblings, while my father has 5 siblings and every one of those siblings have offspring of their own except for one. That make for a pretty large family and I had difficulty fitting them all in.  The trends I noticed were for one of cousins who had got married and had a child. The mother was of Arabic descent while the Father was of Indian descent, and their son was a mix of both.  I also noticed that on my mother’s side, all of her siblings but one live in India and therefore, a few of them have more children than the normal amount, while the one that does not live in India has one child. Although, on my father’s side, all of his siblings are here in the U.S. and so all of his siblings have a number of children between one and three. The last trend I noticed was that height varies among our family. Both my mother and father are short and so my siblings and I are short, although my cousins who have a mother or father of a different lineage who are quite tall, match that same quality. It is quite interesting to think  about where each one of us came from and how our families have evolved over time.

kinship charts

5 thoughts on “E. Varghese – Week Four – Kinship Charts

1. You have a very interesting kinship chart! It’s fun to see all the variation in families these days especially when so rich in different cultures…I like the explanation about why some people have more children than others, and it makes sense and fits very well in each culture from USA to India. I think there is a bit of both a bilateral and lineal descent in your family since you come from both and I’m sure incorporate a bit of both cultures into your life and can relate to both, but also lineal because you said it is so big and you have difficulty fitting in with it all sometimes. Does that then mean that you feel more connected to one of your cultures than the other? I think a lot of families have the trend where people feel the ability to relate more to one side of the family (or one culture) more than the other. There are multiple variables involved in this that stem from number of children, sex of the children, how old they are in relation to yourself and what they take interest in and this all sort of can come down to culture practiced as well.

2. Hello!
    I really appreciate the cultural explanation that you provided in explanations of the variations of your kinship chart. I think a lot of people get away from the idea that kinship is not always measured or explained biologically. Things like likelihood of divorce, serial monogamy, and polygamy are certainly things that arise depending upon the cultural background of the kinship we are representing. Marriage has everything to do with our kinship chart but depending on your culture marriage patterns vary greatly. You noted in your explanation of your kinship chart that family members residing in India have more than the normal (maybe 1-3) amount of children that those residing in the United States may have. I think it’s a good idea that you provide that explanation because part of the purpose of a kinship chart is to observe the patterns. However, if you are to just draw a chart, which exhibits one child here and eight children there it may seem sporadic and inconsistent. For that you must acknowledge the cultural implications. I also noticed on your mother’s side that you have a relation that I didn’t exactly understand. It would be interesting to find out what you were representing.
    Have an awesome week,
    Victoria

3. Dear Estelle,
    I first wanted to start off by saying that I thought you did a wonderful job creating your kinship chart. Unlike my chart that I presented with three generations, your chart actual looks like what a family kinship chart should look like in my opinion. With your mother having seven children, and your father having five, the amount of cousins you have nearly triples my cousin count. If that wasn’t crazy enough, a trend that I noticed based off your chart is that on your fathers side, it seems to be that the most dominant gender of child to have is a male, while on your mothers side it seems to be the dominant gender to have is a female. Another reason I really enjoyed your chart is that you too are from a different descent style of family then a classic American family which makes your chart much more interesting in my opinion because with yours being Arabic, we get an example of an Arabic family. Overall really great job!

4. Having come from such a small family myself, it is really interesting to see how large your kinship chart is. The chart itself was drawn really well. The trend you noticed where the place the couple lives can correlate with the number of children is also intriguing. It is not something I normally would think about because even though my father is American and my mother is Japanese, for both countries, one to three kids is the standard amount of children, typically. The way you described your kinship chart also displays your culture well. I wonder which side of your family you lean more towards, if you do at all? Do you refer to all of your cousins on both sides the same? I am also wondering if having such a large family makes it harder to keep in contact with each other or if it is a close family?

5. (Sorry I know I am late)
    Wow, your chart is actually quite impressive. Comparing it to my own, your family is just giant. I really like how it seemed to give you almost a bit of difficulty finding consistencies in your family. Like how you said all but one, there was not really an entire consistency. And that was really cool to me. It just goes to show that people do their own things and usually do not just follow others. Also your family being so big must have really made it hard to find stuff like that. Looking at height is something I would have never thought of either. I just looked at my chart and saw what I could from there, I never thought to take them as people into consideration. I do not know about you, but I do not know the height of most of my family members off the top of my head, so I like that this post at least gives the illusion that you went the extra mile and asked some of them to form this pattern. Great post, thanks for sharing.