Haolong Li – week 4 – Kinship Chart

This is my kinship chart. From this chart, we can see that my mother is from a minority family – Manchu. I showed all Manchu member in red color. From maternal relations, my grandparents are both Manchu, because in that time, Manchu only allowed to marry people from same ethnic. By this reasons, my grandparents are Manchu. With change of social consciousness, Manchu and other ethnic people are allowed to marry. So my mother and her brothers and sisters can choose spouses from different ethnic groups, which is Han. In Chinese law, if parents from different ethnic groups, their children have right to choose own ethnic. By this reason, me and my cousins have different ethnic, Manchu and Han, like kinship chart shows. My greatest cousin was married and had a son.

My paternal relationship is very straightforward, all members are from Han, expect me. My father and his brothers and sisters all married and have children. And one of my cousin also married and have a son. All my family members have stable marriage, the longest over 25 years

.IMG_3295

6 thoughts on “Haolong Li – week 4 – Kinship Chart

1. Hi Haolong Li,

Thanks so much for sharing! I enjoyed reading the analysis of your kinship chart, and I found it very interesting. Before reading your post, I never considered the extent to which cultural customs and beliefs could alter the dynamic of a family generation by generation. My mother is 50 percent Italian and 50 percent Polish, while my dad is 100 percent Polish–This makes my family my brother and I 75 percent polish and 25 percent Italian. Following these cultural connections and relationships in a kinship chart can be complex for anyone, but having specific rules/customs dictating these connections seems to give it a new level of complexity and difficulty. In an earlier lecture, we discussed how cultures are always evolving—In regard to this, I think your note on “social consciousness” and the transition from endogamy to exogamy within your own culture helps to demonstrate this constant progress and change very well.

2. I have similar situations like you, my grandmother of my mum’s side comes from a Manchu family, her husband which is my grandfather is Han, since my grandparents come from different ethnic group, they children are able to choose which group to they want to belong to, but neither my mum nor my aunt choose to be Manchu, so I can’t choose to be in the Manchu group, and my family don’t have rules from Manchu group. But my grandmother did told me that in her family, she did call her mum and dad ” e niang” and ” a ma” (you should be able to understand how to read this in Chinese). Actually for me myself, I do want to know more about traditions in Manchu family, I think it’s really luck for you to be in an environment with both Manchu and Han, so that you can know traditions of both of the groups

3. I found it rather interesting that you guys get to chose your culture if your parents come from two different sides of culture. It is crazy how you are born into a culture, but you cannot choose it for yourself. IF one had parents from the same culture, then they would be forced into one. I love how if there are two different cultures that come together you can still choose what you want. It also creates diversity among the children of these parents who come together from two different cultures. In our culture, it is rather similar to yours, where there is no divorce and no connection to it. It is rather uncommon and frowned upon in our culture. And yours seems to lack it as well, considering most asian cultures discourage it as well. In American culture, it is much more common yet not as big of a deal as it is when someone in our culture gets divorced.

4. I truly enjoyed learning about your family through the kinship chart! As you stated, all of the marriages in your family are intact, and no remarriages or divorces. I am intrigued by the ability of children from mixed ethnic group parents to chose their ethnicity. I wonder what that was like for you to chose which you felt was a greater representation of yourself, and what effect that has on family members who may have chose different. With the exception of your father, no one from your father’s side has married someone of a different ethnicity besides Han. I think that it is also worth noting that every nuclear family only consists of one child, about which I would be interested in learning more about.
    I think that your photo in itself is an amazing representation of the combination of different ethnicities and the lineage and kinship that it forms.
    Thanks!

5. I found your kinship post very interesting to look at! I learned a few things about your family traditions and culture that I never knew before, which is very nice. I found that looking at your paternal and maternal kinship chart was cool by the way you color coordinated and divided. It becomes quite fascinating when we actually draw out our family with a kinship. I learned a lot about my family culture when making my kinship by asking my mom about certain family members. How they were raised, where they were raised, and more. This was a really great blog post to read because it was something different than my Mexican family. Thank you for sharing your post! It’s great that I get to learn about other kinships. Yours reflected your description well which was nice. I enjoyed this week’s blog post because it allowed me to step outside the box and learn things about my culture and about others as well. I think it’s a great way to learn about anthropology as well.

6. The writer concisely depicted the kinship chart of his family from both his mom’s side and dad’s side with a little discussion about their nationalities and ethic . From his article, we learned about the variety nationality and their interesting customs and habits. In the old time, Manchu people pursuit the “pure of blood”,which is rare in my nationality culture. The writer further correlated the lecture with the facts of the marriage situation in his families. His kinship story is far more different from mine. All my famil members belong to the same nationality. I enjoy reading the other people’s story because i can learn lots of interesting things from all different culture.