Ian Rodriguez – Week 4 – Kinship Charts

The dynamic of my family is incredibly unique. Starting off with my parents close knit families; my mother is one of 13 children and my father is one of six but his siblings all live out of the country. My mothers side produces 51 cousins and my father does not have any nieces and nephews. It’s an odd situation to say the least. In terms of my personal family, it’s also unique. My father was married and had a son before marrying my mother. We are still very close with the first wife and act as if his first son is our older brother. My mother and the first wife are good friends… Not too common. I’m the youngest of three with two older sisters, they almost act as if I have two other mothers. Our family is extremely close knit and I wouldn’t ask for anything else. image

2 thoughts on “Ian Rodriguez – Week 4 – Kinship Charts

1. This family dynamic is very interesting! I have never seen anyone have a family with so many cousins and aunts and uncles. It almost seems like it would be hard to keep track of all of them, especially if they are all out of the country. I am sure with being out of the country, you barely see them and you find that hard because the rest of your family is so close. I would imagine that your family resembles mine, in the sense that you are all very close and open with each other. We both share average American kinships, the bilateral kinship. I think that with having a bilateral kinship, it means that we are able to get close and feel safe with all of our family in a natural way that all people can understand. Your chart was put together very well and I think that anyone who looks at it will be able to understand it. Thank you for letting me comment and good job

2. Wow, your family has one of the most interesting structures out of all the other posts in this class. My mother is one of six children, and those aunts and uncles produced eleven cousins and I thought my mother’s family was large, but fifty-one cousins is incredible! The overall family dynamic of closeness and clan-ship between our families is probably much different, as I could not imagine branching my “close knit” network past my small–relative to yours–circle of kinship.

I also thought your note about your family’s acceptance of your father’s first son was important, because from an anthropological point of view there is a certain aspect of an acceptance of cognitive descent between the family members not entirely related by blood, which is the Euro-American marker of lineage.

I have to admit, I have always fancied the idea of having a wonderfully large family to socialize with at get-togethers and to make meaningful traditions with, and I’m glad a fellow Spartan comes from a close knit community like that.