J. Rojo – Week 4 – Kinship Charts

Kinship Chart

Just by starting off, I knew that my kinship chart to represent my family was going to be long. I have a huge family from both my mom’s and dad’s side. From my dad’s side, he has ten siblings total. I mainly have uncles and there is only one female, which is my aunt. On my mom’s side, she has fewer siblings than my dad, but there is still a significant amount. She had three siblings, and including her are four total. I have one uncle and two aunts on my mom’s side. Excluding cousins because I have too many to count, I noticed that there are some trends that my kinship chart expresses. For starters, my grandparents from my dad’s side are separated. Although they are not together anymore, they are still siblings and not a blended family. Then when you get to my parents, they are divorced and it is shown on the kinship chart. From there, it is just me and my younger brother. I am the red colored circle. Although I could say that divorce is more common now than it was back 40 or 50 years ago, it was still happening. My grandparents raised my uncles and aunts very traditionally where the males were to work and earn money and the females were to clean and do chores. However, my mom’s side is more “modernized” because they were born in the United States. They speak English fluently and earned an education here. Where as on my dad’s side, they were all born in Mexico. However, all of my uncles and aunt attended college and earned a degree there. So yes, times have changed and more couples and families are getting divorced. But overall, education and separation hasn’t changed much throughout the three generations in my family. From lecture 4.1, it mentioned these rules about marriage and how time has affected change. This does correlate with my family, but in the end, it just goes to show that not everything changes depending on the generation itself. Exogamy relates to my family more because my parents married from two completely different worlds. They were raised differently and learned different things. However, both of my grandparents from both sides of my family married from their communities because they grew accustomed to it. My kinship chart resembles a large family with different trends that are based on different generations.

4 thoughts on “J. Rojo – Week 4 – Kinship Charts

1. My parents generation was also raised for women to do house work and the men got to go outside of the home for work. My mom was very unhappy with the way the girls were treated in her family, so she made sure not to raise us that way. You mentioned that your parents were divorced and spoke about how things in the past were different. I’m not sure what the statistics are on divorce, but I am assuming your parents divorced after they had children. In, “Ties that Connect”, they mention how many societies have a way to get divorced, but in some societies it is more frowned upon than others. Since, it sounds like your father came from a more traditional family I wonder if it was harder for his parents or community to accept his divorce. Also, the article mentions that, “Divorce is invariably more difficult after children have been born to the couple” (120). Less modern families would have a hard time adapting to divorce, but like you mentioned about how things change with each generation it seems your kinship relationship has been adapting well.

2. The writer concisely depicted the kinship chart of his family at the beginning from both his mom’s side and dad’s side by generally introducing the siblings amount and their genders in overall. Combined with the reference from Ties and the Connect, the writer further correlated the lecture with the facts of his families in regards with the changes such as divorces between some of his relatives. This correlation enriches the connotation of material, and comes to the conclusion that “This does correlate with my family, but in the end, it just goes to show that not everything changes depending on the generation itself”. In addition, the writer mentioned the Exogamy relates to his family as his parents are both from different cultures in the world. Overall, this passage is well structured and has clearly and logically introduced the the kinship chart of his family from varies angles, and well correlated those points to the lecture 4.1

3. Your kinship tree proves how kinship is social and cultural and not biological. The status and roles mentioned in your family varied depending on culture because each culture have their preferences on how social roles and groups are organized. The U.S in comparison to Mexico has strengthened fundamental family structure and responsibility, in a sense, because, one could argue, of the dominance and provisions of the U.S market economy. Whereas Mexico would be considered a non-industrialized country, so large arrays of family functions weaken the importance of social roles and groups.

As far as traditional roles and teachings, this could be a matter of institutional conformity-the mindset that reflects biology and evolution as factors of social roles for specific genders. I wonder if your grandparents notice how the social role of gender is transforming modern society. In contrast to how your aunts and uncles were raised, if they were to raise children today would it align with the views and ideologies mentioned in lecture 4.3-that kinship is not intrinsic to biology, but rather infinite in its possible cultural and/or social forms. I’m curious to know how religion might have impacted your grandparents’ traditional views.

4. The way you represented your kinship was very neat and clean, great job! I can relate quite well to your kinship structure, as it is quite similar to mine. Likewise, I have a very large and extended family which would be difficult to display on a chart. Another important point you raised in the description of your chart, was the difference in cultures under which your grandparents, and parents grew in. In relation to lecture 4.2, we understand that kinships are socially constructed with social implications. Therefore, due to the difference in the cultures under which some of your relatives grew in, translated into how they behaved. Either as a wife/mother or a husband/father. Moreover, you depict how exogamy affects your linear kinship, and how each generation has grown through a subsequently different culture. Likewise, you alluded to separations and divorces and how they affected the relationship between your parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents. Lecture 4.1, talks about how marriage is carried out differently from culture to culture, and which also relates to how each culture handles divorce. Some would handle divorce more aggressively than others.