Joseph Healy – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

Kinship Chart

This is my kinship chart, and of course I found some similarities within the chart. For example, all of the children on my mother’s side are boys, while on my father’s everyone has at least one girl but him. It is also most frequent for families here to have two children, with there being only two exceptions. Both of the divorced couples have at least one boy and one girl too. Also everyone on my father’s side has a son except for his twin brother, who has two daughters.

4 thoughts on “Joseph Healy – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

1. In looking at your kinship chart, I must say that I became intrigued with the patterns in your family. Like you said, most of the couples in your family have had only two children. Rather that was genetics or just by choice is unknown, but it is a key factor in your family dynamic. In looking at lecture 4.1, I can see that you and your family practice a bilateral family decent as you are identifying with both sides of your family. Another pattern that I noticed was the fact that there wasn’t that much divorce in your family. Besides two instances, everyone in your family stayed together with the person they married. It seems that even your grandmother decided to get married as well. With all of these different trends going on, it definitely makes your family remarkable. Thank you for the insight on you and your family. Your chart also was well drawn out as well.

2. I found the patterns in your family tree quite interesting. As you show us, almost everyone in your family has had just two children, except for your grandparents who had larger families. I think that is very interesting and represents the typical American nuclear family for a mother, husband, and two children. From the lectures, we can see you have a bilateral descent and represent both sides of your family. There does not seem to be a dominance of either males of females on one side of your family tree, it seems rather even, and you even said almost everyone has at least one boy and one girl. There is very little divorce shown in the chart but they still have children. I wonder, did everyone in your family choose to have only two children or is that just by chance that they almost only have two? It is a very well done chart, good job!

3. I think your kinship chart was very interesting especially about the guy to girl ratio. In my kinship chart they are majority girls overall and I think it gives a good forecast to what my potential family guy to girl ratio may look like! I believe our kinship charts gives us a good view into what our future families may look like with marriages, children, etc. but of course they’re not set in stone. They are a lot of different factors that may influence these decisions but the chart definitely gives some perspective. I think it was great that you are able to identify with both sides of your family and were able to notice common trends that occurred on both sides of your family really showing the commonality of the bilateral descents. I also noticed that there was little divorce in your family, which could be heavily influence by culture and your family background.

4. I found your kinship chart to be very interesting and relatable to my own. My grandparents on both sides of my family had at least 3-4 children, which was a common trend for people living in India at that time. Currently all the children of my parents generation have only one to two children at most. One reason this could be true is that it’s much more difficult to take care of more than two children in our current society. My family immigrated to this country, so having more children would not be economically viable and it would be difficult to manage taking care of a large number of children. It seems to be more common in both our families for there to be less children for each passing generation. I also noticed that there was a divorce on one of your grandparent’s side of the family and they ended up having less children, so maybe the number of children in a family has a correlation with divorce rates.