K. Bird – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

Kinship Chart

In my chart shows my generation, my parents’ generation, and their parents’ generations.

I am the youngest of three sons. My dad is an only child and his parents are divorced and both remarried. I call his parents and step-parents grandma and grandpa. On my mother’s side, she has an older brother who is married and has two kids of his own. No one in my generation has been married nor has kids. All in all, my family is pretty small. My father’s father’s father is the youngest of 5 or so children but we do not stay in much contact with them anymore.

My lineage has been pretty much an example of a nuclear family, with only one couple who has been divorced.

3 thoughts on “K. Bird – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

1. It is interesting to see you only have one divorce in your family and both of them have been remarried. Especially as to seeing this is in the older generation. Do you also call your mom’s parent’s grandma and grandpa? If you follow both sides closely it would be a, “cognac rule of descent” (Marriage, Kinship, Family 120). This way you would be focusing on having your kinship on both the male and female side. If you only called your father’s side grandma and grandpa, then it would be a patrilineal form of descent. Then, you say that you don’t stay in touch with part of your father’s side, so maybe neither of these apply to your kinship that well. It looks like you have a pretty even number of males and females in your family. Does this play into your family dynamic at all? Are chores shared evenly between the sexes? Thanks for sharing this information!

2. I am also a part of a nuclear family, at least my immediate family. My uncles have been remarried many times however. On my mother’s side the terminology for parents is varied because her mom has been remarried more than three times. Her two main ex-husbands were remarried. My biological grandfather is referred to as such because he has not been a part of my life. The second husband is granddad and his second wife is grandma susan. My mother’s mother is called grand mommy. Each of my grandparents has a different terminology and are not all looped under one word. It is interesting that you do not refer to your grandparents as step grandparents. In my family we meant that certain branches of our family are step or half but they get the terminology that does not reference this fact. You have a much smaller family then mine and it is interesting to see how vastly different they are.

3. I am also a part of a nuclear family, at least my immediate family. My uncles have been remarried many times however. On my mother’s side the terminology for parents is varied because her mom has been remarried more than three times. Her two main ex-husbands were remarried. My biological grandfather is referred to as such because he has not been a part of my life. The second husband is granddad and his second wife is grandma susan. My mother’s mother is called grand mommy. Each of my grandparents has a different terminology and are not all looped under one word. It is interesting that you do not refer to your grandparents as step grandparents. In my family we meant that certain branches of our family are step or half but they get the terminology that does not reference this fact. You have a much smaller family then mine and it is interesting to see how vastly different they are.