K. Burke – Week Four – Kinship Chart

Trends:

• There are 21 total males in the family; there are 16 total females in the family
  • On my Dad’s side of the family all the children born since my generation have been males
  • Each of my Mom’s sisters besides her have been divorced
  • Only 1 out of 9 of my aunts and uncles did not marry; only 2 out of 9 did not have children
  • I have one niece and one nephew; only 3 out of 12 of my cousins have married so far

Overall, the family operates within the bounds of American kinship organization with lineal heritage being identified along bilateral (or Eskimo or Inuit system) lines. In addition, serial monogamy is practiced, and all marriages have followed endogenous rules of similar culture, race, social class, etc., with no forms of monetary exchange involved besides gift giving.

Completing this assignment has made me realize my place within the social structure of my family, and has made me understand and appreciate the past along with giving me insight to the possible future for my family.

One thought on “K. Burke – Week Four – Kinship Chart

1. I enjoyed reading your post. I see that your family’s trend that boys are more dominate than girls. This is the same with my family, boys being more dominant. Sometimes I think to myself when I get married and have my own children, will there be more boys than girls. My plan is to have 5 kids when the time comes with the right man. My dad’s side is the same more males and my mom’s side was the same about of males and females. My mom and dad’s kids are 5 boys and 3 girls. So as you can tell males are more dominate. You said that monogamy is practiced in your family, same with mine. From lecture ( lecture 4, slide 10) marriage patterns like monogamy is practiced in both of our families. Same with me this assignment has opened my eyes about how big my family is and that males are more dominate. I have realized that back then times were hard so having many children helped with the chores.