L. Perkins – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

Creating the Kinship chart was a tad difficult for because I never knew my grandmother or grandfather from my father side and did not get the opportunity to get to know my family members from his side so I stuck with creating a Kinship tree for only my mother side of the family instead.

Trends

-My grandmother from my mother side of the family had majority girls (5 in total) and all of their children got married. Only 1 out of the 5 of their children got a divorce.

-Children: Almost all of my grandmothers children had children of their own except my two aunts, both were unable to have children, and one of my uncle’s who refused to have children. Most of my cousins also got married but as you can see their was a higher divorce rate compared to my aunts and uncles and my grandparents.

-Female to male ratio: Throughout the entire Kinship chart there are more females in each generation than there are males.Doc Jul 29%2c 2016%2c 7-37 PM

3 thoughts on “L. Perkins – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

1. Your kinship chart was very interesting to look at. The way that it reinforces certain statistical and societal norms. Your grandmother had many more girls than boys, this is reinforced biologically as it is more likely, statistically, that a baby will be born female. It was also interesting to hear that divorce was more common in your generation. This reflects the way society has changed in the past 50-70 years. In the last century not only was it frowned upon to break the vows of marriage and get divorced, but also women were not always capable of providing for themselves in the past. Luckily things have changed and people are able to make decisions in the interest of their self interest without it having a detrimental effect on their life. Whereas in the past nuclear families were valued and people stayed in marriages that were not healthy for either religious reasons or societal pressure.

2. It was pretty unique that you only chose to use one parent’s lineage, but it does make sense since you didn’t get to know the other side of the family, so it makes that you chose to do that. Having a trend of 5 girls out of 7 children sounds very similar to my family, where my mom has 6 other sisters and one brother and where my dad has 5 other sisters. Having more girls than boys in a family seems like a common theme among the class, I have noticed. When you mentioned the higher rate of divorce among our generation, I found that interesting. I suppose it make sense because in our parents’ generation, there was much more commitment in the relationships. In this generation, people try so hard their match that they don’t try and make it work, although that is my personal opinion. My parents had an arranged marriage and they have been together forever, although sometimes it just may not work and a divorce erupts.

3. It’s interesting that there were more daughters than sons in your family. It seems to be a common trend in both your family and many other kinship charts from people in our class that daughters are the majority in the more recent generations. In my family the opposite holds true. My mother had three sisters, and my father had two sisters. On both my mother and father’s sides the majority of the children are sons. It’s also interesting to see how divorce was less common in the older generations of your family, but it’s become more common in recent generations. This goes to show that the culture we’re leaving in is changing and I believe this is because women are becoming more independent and aren’t afraid to stay in relationships that make them unhappy. There is a lot more confidence and emphasis on egalitarian marriages, because they tend to make for happier relationships.