X. Fu – Week Four – Kinship Charts

scan 2016_07_29 22-59-47

It’s easy to notice that the number of children by generation trends to decrease, mainly because of China’s one-child policy which creates a huge gap regarding the population by generation within my big family. We can see that each of my cousin, as well as myself, have several aunts, uncles, and grandparents. However, my uncles and aunts experience more complicated relationships than I did. In other words, each of my last generation gives birth to only one child, while they have 4 to 6 siblings. What another thing comes to my mind was the increasing divorce rate. I see no divorces among my grand-generation, but it started to appear between my parents and some of my uncles and aunts. It is hard to exercise the trends because all of my cousins aren’t married yet. The last point I’d like to make is that the men-women ratio. I have to admit that the cliche tradition in China making people admire boys more results an unbalanced sex ratio, unacceptable but true.

3 thoughts on “X. Fu – Week Four – Kinship Charts

1. I love the way you tied in the history of the one child policy and the cultural stigma of having a daughter into your kinship chart. But culture isn’t just rhetoric or practice or a theoretical kinship exercise- it has profound implications for any nation or people! The one child policy has had detrimental repercussions for China. Not only does it have 120 men for every 100 women, but since it’s progressing and women have more freedom to pursue their careers, they will likely have fewer children and this will put a damper on the fertility rate for decades. Many argue that if China had just continued to progress industrially and professionally, the birth rate would have dropped anyway(http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/world/asia/china-will-feel-one-child-policys-effects-for-decades-experts-say.html) This is particularly troubling in light of an aging population and the trend you pointed out in your own family of increased divorce rates. At the end of the day, the nation will need an entire generation of young people to be economically productive. Perhaps China could amp up its immigration, but it needs to be a more attractive nation to live in before that by cracking down on pollution in hubs like Beijing.

2. It is very interesting to see what impact the ‘one-child’ policy had on your family. While your older generation had many siblings, the generation that came after is very sparse in number. It is truly interesting to see that somehow anthropology is associated with geography. Developed countries tend to have an aging population. This is because while birth rates decrease, advanced health care allows for older generation to live longer. Also, an increasing divorce rate prevents new born rates to increase. But in China, artificially controlled birthrate only created what you also mentioned the uneven ratio between men and women.

3. Dear Xinyao,
    I first wanted to start off by saying that I thought you did a great job creating your kinship chart. What really brought my attention to your chart was the fact you said that everyone in your close immediate family is under China’s one child policy. With your fathers side consisting of being made of 4 brothers and sisters, while your mothers consists of 6 brothers and sisters, you can truly see that that trend is taking place. One question I do have is that if all your aunts/uncles are to follow China’s one child policy, then why does one family on your mothers side able to have more than one child? Obviously not questioning this like it’s a bag thing for them to have two children, I was just curious. Another reason why I truly enjoyed your chart is because of the fact that it relates to mine in the sense that it’s from a different ethnic descent family than the classic American family. Great Job!