Y Li – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

The trend in my family is that we have more females than males. My grandparents from my mother’s side have two girls, my mum and my aunt, and grandparents from my father’s side have two sons and a daughter. In my generation, most of the Chinese family only have one child due to the “Family Plan”, so my parents and my aunt all have only one child. There are also families like my uncle from my father’s side, they keep having children until they finally got a son, they have to pay fines for giving birth to one child. As for my aunt, her two girls are twins, which doesn’t violate the “Family plan” policy. However, the policy changed few years ago, it implies that if both of the couple are the only child in their family, then they can legally have two kids, which is a good new for my cousin of my mother’s side, he just had a son in April, and he said he will have another one.

6 thoughts on “Y Li – Week 4 – Kinship Chart

1. I like how you explained the Family Plan. This really helped show why your family members only had a certain number of kids. Also it helped a lot because on first glance it did seem a bit odd that half of the kids were only children. Though I am not sure, did your grandparents have any siblings or anything? I would have liked to have seen that if so, if you have that knowledge. Another bit I would have liked to have seen would be how much these fines were to your uncle. Or why did the policy change? All of these would be interesting to hear about, though I know it would be getting a bit off of the topic. Though this was a very good kinship chart. I did not really expect to find anything interesting about these other than a few common elements like divorce. You sure proved me wrong there, good job.

2. I think this is a very typical kinship chart people would see for a Chinese family. Families are getting smaller in size since the “One Child” policy enacted 3 decades ago by Chinese government. The kinship chart is quite similar as mine but at my father and mother’s generation, they have more siblings than your parents do. I guess this difference could be attributed to regional disparity. My grandparents were living in a rural area where living was largely depending on agriculture. Therefore families tended to have more children to add labor for farming. However, when my parents and uncles grew up, they moved to the city, and then came the one-child policy. That’s why there’s the changing trend in our kinship charts in terms of family size. But as you mentioned, government has been loosen up the policy in recent years, like for couples that are both the only child, they can have two children. So for years to come, we will sure see more families with two children.

3. I think you have a very interesting family tree. Since you are from China, your family tree is very different from a lot of Americans because of the Family Plan implemented in China, something that I forgot existed. In America I think there is a vision of the “ideal” family with a mother, father, and two children. But in China you can only have one child (now two, as you explained), so the families will look a lot smaller than in America. I noticed there was no divorce in your family tree which is something that I think is fairly common in America. I did not know that twins were allowed in the Family Plan, mostly because it was something I just never thought of. I like your family tree because it gives us a look at another culture family relationships and how the dynamic of relationships works in another culture.

4. I loved how you addressed the Family plan as it is implemented in China and it is rather important as it limits the whole aspect to your kinship chart. For my own family tree there is no family plan and it is extremely common for someone to have five even ten siblings. There is no “ideal family”, but families are extremely well connected in our culture. I know my moms cousins and their cousins and so on. For America, the ideal family is usually two kids with parents. I also noticed similarities between your tree and mine. Divorce is fairly low in Chinese culture as well as Pakistani culture. It is frowned upon heavily and there is more look at compromise in our culture. In American culture, there is a very prominent rate of divorce. It is rather interesting that you can see actual trends between cultures due to kinship charts.

5. I really enjoyed reading and learning about your family and your kinship chart! As you said, the chart primarily consists of couples who have never been divorced nor remarried, with one exception. I like how you included the laws of the “Family Plan” into your description of your extended family. That definitely explains why there are so many nuclear families with only one child. I am curious to learn more about your grandparents and how their nuclear families were set up; in accordance to, or distinct of the Chinese Family Plan. Additionally, I am intrigued by your uncle, who chose to continue having children until he had a son, even with the fines that come with each child. I did not expect to learn so much from someone else’s post today but I really appreciate your contribution and it has prompted me to do more research into the traditional structure of Chinese families.
    Thank you!

6. I think that you did a great job of explaining how the ‘family plan’ policy works for those like me who are not too familiar with it. I was always aware that there was a law in China that only allowed for families to have one child. I did not know how ever that if they had more than on child they would have to pay fines. I just kind of thought that once they had one child, they just stopped having children. I was however aware of the law change I just wasn’t sure of what the actual change was. Your kinship chart however is very simple like mine compared to some of the other charts that I have seen this week, which is fine. A lot of people may say that your chart is different from a lot of American kinship charts but in reality there are still some American families that are small as well by choice or even not by choice.