Z. Wurtz – Week four – Kinship Charts

One trend I’ve noticed with my kinship chart is that for both my parents, all of their brothers and sisters are married, and none have had any divorces. Although no divorces or remarriages are shown here, there are some divorces and remarriages by my parent’s cousins. Another trend is that I have a lot more cousins on my father’s side than on my mother’s side. A third trend worth noting is the smaller family size, with 2 or 3 children each in a family in my generation compared to the 3-4 kids a family in my parent’s generation. The only birth that is out of the ordinary trend is the illegitimate birth on my father’s side represented by the lightning bolt.

kinship chart

2 thoughts on “Z. Wurtz – Week four – Kinship Charts

1. I have a few similar trends in my chart. I also have a lot more cousins on my father’s side than on my mother’s side, it’s an interesting coincidence. Additionally, I too have the situation where all my aunts and uncles are married. It looks like all but one couple have kids which is the same for me as well. It looks like there is pretty even split of males to females in your family too. I wonder how the child who was born illegitimate is treated in your family. Are they treated the same as the rest of the children in their family or different? I also wonder if they feel fully like part of the family or if they feel somewhat out of place. I now in my family I have two adopted cousins and to me they are the same as everyone else but I know they have struggled with identity in that regard.

2. I am very intrigued by the illegitimate birth, yet lack of division in your kinship tree. In my community, an illegitimate birth is grounds for ostracism or shun because premarital sex (the typical cause for a bastard) would not align with the values that my community uphold. So I further inquire how the knowledge of an illegitimate birth might not dissolute your family? The ultimate and foundation reason can be tied to the ideas behind system of relationships, and how they socially, economically, politically, and culturally integrate communities (lecture 4.1). However, I believe that in my community those values are based primarily off of religion, more narrowed Christianity. Even though my family might follow those values, your family withstood marriage far better than mine ever did. There is no mention of how kinship integrates communities from a religious aspect, albeit, marriages are witnessed in some religious sanctuary. What does this say about religion and its ties to social roles and groups? Furthermore, how does this difference reveal connections or disconnections between kinship, culture, and biology?