C.Medzigian-Weel 6-Cultural Boundaries

Prompt Option One:

Cultural diffusion and cultural adoption are occurring more and more throughout not only the United States, but all around the world as a result of globalization. The central idea of globalization is the movement of cultural ideas, goods, and services across national borders. With the massive influx of cultural ideas crossing over national borders, there will of course come cultural adoption along with it. After going through the lectures, articles, and videos, there are many examples that can be used to highlight how globalization is changing the landscape of not only America, but countries all over the world. For example, look at how Coca Cola and McDonalds began as small companies in the United States and grew to be massive corporations. Now, they both do business in hundreds of countries around the world. Many of the goods and services that may have started in one specific region and being a staple of that culture, have now begun to flow all around the world. They may not be exactly the same, for example, sushi in America versus Sushi in Japan, but they share many of the same ideas, and cultural practices.

If you look at the geographic lay out of the United States, and the demographics of those areas it is very clear to see how outside cultures have begun to influence those respective regions. On the west coast, you have a huge influx of Asian and Mexican culture. This makes sense obviously because Asians find their way to America via the West Coast. It is also extremely close for people from Mexico to travel to states like California and Arizona. There you may find more cultural practices, goods, and services that resemble those of the neighboring countries. On the east coast you will commonly find many eastern Europeans, especially in places like New York City. The interesting aspect of globalization is that all of these other cultures seemingly find their way into our country and blend in quite well. I don’t think it is until you stop and think about it, that you will realize how these outside cultures have become a part of our daily lives. Speaking from experience, I know it is a common practice for my family and I to eat either Chinese or Japanese food at least once a week. In America, obviously our main utensils are a fork, spoon, and a knife, but when we eat these Asian foods we use chopsticks. This is a perfect example of a cultural adoption.

We are currently living in a world where everything is connected. Our economies are connected, our people are connected through social media and the internet, our religions are becoming more and more blended, and our daily routines and practices are becoming more and more connected to those of different cultures. Not so long ago, people of different cultures lived in areas surrounded by people of similar cultures and upbringings. A perfect example of this would be the German ghetto in Rome, or China Town in New York City. Although both of these areas are still predominantly the same as they once were, it is much more common to live amongst people of many different cultures and races. In my hometown, I live next to a family from Spain, a family from the U.S, as well as a couple from Australia. At school, I live right next door to a student who has come all the way from China, and another student from India. This mixing of different cultures certainly is an effect of globalization. Education, for example, is a major cause of why people come to America. We have one of the best if not the best education systems in the world, and people from all walks of life and cultures will come here for an opportunity to learn from some of the best professors in the world.

When you look at globalization and try to make conclusions about it, one thing seems very clear and that is that there seems to be a weakening of cultural practices amongst each given culture within this country. I can’t speak for other countries because I have not traveled to very many places, but it truly seems as if people in America do not necessarily care to practice norms that only fit their culture. We see this blending so to speak more often than not. I know if I were to speak for how I feel about my culture, I truly wouldn’t really know how to define what American culture is. So much of our culture is directly influenced by other cultures. So much of my daily routine included doing activities that are not solely American. I think others would agree with the arguments that I am making, and I think it is a direct cause of Globalization. I think we simply live in a world where we have access to anything and everything whenever and wherever we want it. There is no need to stay true to cultural practices if you do not want to.