E. Varghese – Week Six – Cultural Boundaries

Culture moves across borders through globalization. Globalization is the process of trading and exchanging goods, people, information, money and many more things in order to benefit in the best way possible. This occurs between countries or nations and both benefit from  each other. This builds a strong connection between the two places and that bond will only grow. The impact of globalization has created the production of low-wage companies and factories. This has also brought up the fact of markets that can exchange goods to the entire world instead of domestically. It is no longer specific to a certain community or area. The International Monetary Fund was intended to help rebuild certain nation’s powers, like Japan and Europe. It was way to help them get back on their feet, although this organization was expanded to other nations. The World Trade Organization is a type of court that solves disputes between countries. This also supports free trade but the countries involved must state their restrictions on the trade. While a few countries benefited from the free trade, others felt they were at a “structural disadvantage” that was not ideal. As these trades are done, cultures are transferred as well. Different qualities may be carried over into neighboring countries or those countries that have traded, and that will continue to spread. Culture is a quality that is expanded throughout generations; it is people’s beliefs and values of life in which people practice. When goods are traded, those countries that cannot create those certain goods may try to learn how to create those goods and it becomes that skill that is exchanged.

Furthermore, exchanging goods over borders becomes a process that gets transferred over numerous countries or nations. For example, if you order something on Amazon and if you are tracking where your shipment is going, you will notice that the package will go through many stops before if comes to your house. It could be boxed in one area, then packaged with a bag in another area and it become that process of globalization. Countries and nations are working together to get the goods or information to a person on time in order to keep that strong connection among each other. This changes lives and effects people who go through this globalization. The workers who undergo this process change themselves. People will pick up qualities and information that is being transferred. When this occurs, people may change the techniques that were originally used to create a good. This could change the good minimally, or it could the good so much that it becomes an entirely different good, thus creating a new good. This ties into how cultures cut across borders again. That information that people are using to create something new or take over. Personally, I myself am Indian, but I was born in the United States. My parents were born in India and so many of their qualities are from India, The way they eat, clothe, speak, value different attributes is transferred to me, but I also use many qualities I learned in the United States. I have then brought that cultural aspect to the United States of India. Culture is indeed spread over borders through globalization and it is never certain what would turn out.

One thought on “E. Varghese – Week Six – Cultural Boundaries

1. E. Varghese,

I enjoyed reading about your perspective on cultural boundaries and agree with your analysis of how the global society has rapidly worked to create connectivity across cultures. I think your example regarding Amazon sheds light on not only the expansive process involved in product/service movement but also on how synergistic the global environment has become. In particular, the world of business has become exponentially more culturally integrated as time has progressed. An example of this is how common it is for American companies to outsource work outside of the United States to create profit-maximizing ventures. This can be attributed to the common labels we see on American clothing products such as “Made in China” or “Made in Taiwan”. However, this is a second-hand reallocation of labor efforts witnessed in the United States. In the U.S, especially discussed recently, the trade-off between immigrant labor and citizen labor has created a negative externality among the cultural hybridization between non-U.S. and U.S. citizens. However, we see that the inclination to integrate culturally and embrace the utilization of a global force to progress business is the trend and will carry through to help maximize the success of businesses worldwide.