N. Ance- Week Six – Cultural Boundaries or Consequences of Globalization

Globalization has brought about a lot of change throughout the world, and you can see it every day. If you go and try to pick out a restaurant, there are a lot of country specific restaurants which specialize in their particular cultures food, such as Chinese restaurants, Thai, Indian, etc. The lectures mentioned how sushi came to America and Western Europe and became a craze due to various factors such as a growing desire to eat healthy, and people saw things from Japan as having a certain aesthetic that was pleasing to them. However, just because a food moves from one culture to another does not mean it will be the exact same. Sushi is made slightly different in America from traditional sushi that you would find in Japan, Indian food in America is less spicy than it actually is in India. This is done to accommodate to the  culture where the practice is moving to. In America, you cannot have a professional baseball game end in a tie, however in Japan, you can end in a tie (at least you used to be, I am not sure if you are still able to). This is another example of something moving cultures but being changed to accommodate a different culture. In America we do not have tie games (except in soccer), it is a foreign concept to us to tie in baseball but it is normal to have tie games in Japan, so they allowed it. I think that food and sport are some of the easiest things that can move across borders to other cultures. Baseball and basketball are now played all across the world, both are even Olympic sports. Food can be made anywhere and while it might be slightly different, it can be made and prepared in any country regardless of what country you are in.

3 thoughts on “N. Ance- Week Six – Cultural Boundaries or Consequences of Globalization

1. I really liked your post and I made a similar point about the different types of food making its way into American culture. I noticed how some of the food was changed to fit American standards, or hybridized (Lecture 6.1). My example was sushi made at a restaurant that gave you an option to put steak in the sushi. Since steak is a staple of many American diets, it makes sense how the sushi was transformed into something containing steak. Personally, I don’t love the idea of the raw fish in sushi so I was happy with the American version. Also, you are right with the Japanese baseball games ending in ties and I believe it still can happen to this day. I am unsure why this is because it would seem that they would adopt the same kind of scoring system as us. However, it could be a cultural idea that ending in a tie is acceptable. Overall, great job on your blog post.

2. I think you provided a very interesting perspective on globalization. I can certainly agree with you when you talk about the westernizing of Asian food. I am Indian, and there are not many places in the United States where you can actually get authentic Indian food. For example, butter chicken is a very common Indian dish. But it’s origins are from Great Britain due to a high influx of Indian and Bangladeshi immigrants, and there for is not even from India. Just like the fact that fortune cookies are a staple at the end of a meal in most Chinese restaurants. However, if you went to China, most people are not familiar with the fortune cookie, which has it’s origins in California. These are the effects of globalization, and how we westernize things to cater to American tastes.

3. I’m excited to find yet another post about different cultural food having an effect on American culture. I wrote about food and its impact as well. It is interesting for the lectures mentioning how sushi became popular in America in its current form. Even though Sushi rolls that Americans like to eat are not very traditionally Japanese, it still shows how a cultural cuisine can come to America and have its own form and identity. There are many dishes that are like that. For example, Mongolian Beef is not something traditionally Chinese. And earlier examples are some food that are considered Italian in this country. Pizzas and pastas are in very different style in Italy. Yet America managed to adopt it, transform it to their own liking, and made it very special.