T.Liu – Week Six – Cultural Boundaries or Consequences of Globalization

Prompt 1

If we look at how we lived in the past century and compare it with how we live now, we will see cultural adoption has changed almost every aspect of our life in many ways. I would like to discuss the cultural adoptions in our daily life in two perspectives: material and spiritual culture.

As regard to material culture, food, products, technology are moving across boundaries since the start of world trade in the very beginning of human history. McDonalds are popping up everywhere in China, Americans can have a Chinese cuisine in their local communities, people can easily buy products imported from other part of the world in their local stores, or a click on the website will get goods from other countries delivered to their house. Multinational enterprises are setting up across boundaries, bringing goods and services. It is now a very common thing to eat exotic food and use foreign products for people every where of the world. People’s consumption habits have changed dramatically in current societies.

From the spiritual perspective, culture adoptions manifest in ways how people view their life and the world. Because of the fast media and information dissemination, we are now watching American TV shows, celebrating Christmas, speaking more than one language, enjoying education abroad. We can almost instantaneously know what is going on in this world. All these have changed our values, ways of thinking, and lifestyle. For example hip pop culture among the world, Japanese anime culture, international anti terrorism, western organizational management practices in local companies, the advocation of human rights equality, etc. Whether we are willing or not, our view to the world has changed. We are more open to modern technology and have more understanding to the global society than our ancestors do.

Cultural adoption in both material and spiritual perspective are indicating we are in a more “flat” world. Cultures are exchanged and adapted across boundaries, and we are seeing less clear boundaries when we talk about cultures that separate one society from another.

3 thoughts on “T.Liu – Week Six – Cultural Boundaries or Consequences of Globalization

1. I like the mention of material culture, such as food, products and technology integrating into not just our society, but all other societies. McDonald’s coming to China, and Americans being able to enjoy their own Chinese restaurants as well. The hybridization of these two styles of restaurants may be made to fit the tastes of the local population. Products are easily purchased online from different countries, ranging from their local shops to large enterprises. Culture is changing to fit the needs and desires of the people living in that certain area. I agree the music of hip hop is spreading as well, and Japanese anime is gaining traction around the world as more quality in their production and availability is attracting a larger audience. Some Martin Guitars for example are being made in Mexico instead of in the U.S., although some disapprove, it allows a bit more affordability to buyers. The IPhone’s parts are obtained from other parts of the world as well. A lot of enterprises are outsourcing to increase efficiency and profits. The world is getting to know each other more every day, and Cultural boundaries and communications are shortening.

2. I like the part you mentioned about food culture, that is one of the most easy cultural adoption to be accepted by local people in my opinion. It actually surprised me when I first arrived in America and saw so many Chinese restaurants around, because I’ve never expected that Chinese food is that popular in foreign countries. And you’ve also mentioned that McDonald is popping up in China, when I tried to recall all those popular shopping centers in China, I’ve realized that almost all of them have McDonalds near them. It would be a good example of cultural adoption. Also, I agree with your word that spirital cultural adoption is common in our life, because me myself is a huge Japanese anime fan, and many people around me like Korean dramas, so I can totally understand that kind of cultural adoption.

3. Firstly, I must to say, you really did a good job, and I really agree with your opinion. You talk about cultural adoptions from two perspective, material and spiritual culture. With the technology and development of International business, people can enjoy products from different countries. KFC and MaDonald’s are good examples. Today, you are easily to find these two restaurant in China, and they both provide some limit local products for better meet local taste, like rice. This is never found in American KFC and MaDonald’s. And Amazon, eBay, Tmall are all provide cross-border transport services, this help customers get products more convinces. This is a good example for material cultural adoptions. For spiritual part, I also agree with what you post. Cultural are not limit to one place, like example you post, Japanese anime culture, fashion culture,international anti terrorism. All of them are famous in all world and support by more people. Two aspects of cultural adoption give people different meaning of life, It also reflects the world is gradually becoming a whole part. Good job.