E. Porter – Cultural Boundaries or Consequences of Globalization – Week 6

Prompt 1,

As an American, it is very common that I see people from all different types of cultures on a regular basis. This fact is even further enhanced since I attend Michigan State University, one of the most diverse colleges in the United States, if not the world. With that being said, it comes without saying that I also see the same people influence the things around them with the different backgrounds that they were brought up in. Likewise, to them, I myself am influencing things based off of my culture. Some of the things that get affected by this are things that we see in our daily lives such as food, and music.  These examples along with countless others are just some of the ways that culture can move across borders.

I think it goes without saying that food is a very important part of people’s lives. One thing though that I love about food though is that it’s so multicultural. For example, most people believe that the idea of a taco as we Americans perceive it originates from México. However, though the taco did indeed come from Mexico, the tacos that we know (and love) today are not the same, and are actually a hybrid of Mexican and American food culture. It was because of our influence on the Hispanic population when we first had contact with them to cause a cultural adoption of sorts with this meal. Another example of this is with Chinese food, specifically orange chicken, and how it is actual a north American dish that created by this cultural adoption. Music is another thing that gets influenced constantly. Some pop artist today like Pitbull and Flo rida get their inspiration from the Hispanic culture. heritage. Other artist such as Drake, Shakira, Rhianna, and Nico &Vinz have done the same thing, but just with different cultures.  Since they use some of the same rhythm and language that comes from that

6 thoughts on “E. Porter – Cultural Boundaries or Consequences of Globalization – Week 6

1. Hello Eben,

We both had similar posts when writing about Cultural boundaries. We both wrote about food and music. Probably because those two thing we see everywhere and it is more obvious when they are not culturally American in origin. Did you have a hard time thinking of things that were less obvious? I could not think of recent things that I use in my everyday life that was adopted from another culture. I guess in a way everything that exists is at some point from a different culture than my own. Especially with America, since it is such a hub for cultural exchange. American culture is just multiple evolutions of constantly adopted culture from other place. I think you made a very similar point in your first paragraph. Overall I really enjoyed your post and thought it was interesting that we had the similar examples for cultural exchange.

2. I also wrote of how ethnic food in America is different than in the country of origin, I think it is the easiest was to see the cultural effects of globalization and can be seen in every country, and in our own country everywhere. I did not think of music being a cultural export but that is a very good example, it is also another easily accessible example because everyone listens to music but we do not always think about where the music style came from and how it has changed over the years. Food and music are both extremely multicultural because you can find it everywhere, the words and foods might be different but you can find it all over the world. You can find a recipe in one part of the world and bring it home and make it your own, or you can hear a style of music and try and make something different with it. There is so much you can do with two simple things, food and music.

3. I think you are right about how food is a really important part of cultural identity that is easily passed form culture to culture and how each person changes it in some way, whether they realize it or not. I read the other day that garlic bread as we know it actually originated in Michigan when soldiers returning from World War II were trying to replicate the bruschetta that they had eaten in Italy during the war. It seems strange to think about, but even after we adopt and reinvent bits of another culture, we still consider them part of the other culture, so we serve garlic bread only in Italian restaurants even though it is really an American thing. Even though we see how we change culture as we come into contact with it, we still seem to think that it is the property of the original culture and that we can only imitate it rather than change it.

4. I agree with you when people go to schools in other places I don’t think they get the cultural diversity as much as they do at MSU. It’s pretty amazing to meet people who are from all across the world and so crossing the cultural boundary is exactly what we do here. We also make it a point to learn about different cultures on campus by implementing cultural student organizations that allow us to partake in their events and activities on campus. I think that in itself is pretty amazing and shows how far as a society the United States has come. I agree with you that food is one of the best ways to learn about someone’s cultural heritage and background. It’s a conversation starter and a way to learn more about the geographical location because only certain items can be grown in certain places. It’s a way to be proud of where you come from and share your insight of the world and in doing so we learn to change and adapt our perspectives and break barriers. Thank you for this awesome reading!

5. Hi, I am very enjoyed the idea you shared here, and I strongly agree with your point. MSU is a good example about cultural globalization. U.S. is a diverse country and welcome other people to come here so there are many students come from different backgrounds. I used to know that the international students in MSU come from around 218 countries. As an international students, I really like the environment which is cultural and diverse. Food is typical cultural factor in most of societies. Because MSU’s students come from diverse countries, there are many different food around our school. In Grand River, we have Korean food, Thailand food, Chinese food, Japanese food, Mexican food, etc. cultural globalization gives people a comprehensive world and a realistic cultures from other countries. For example, if I want to learn Japanese culture, I do not need to do many researches or travel to Japan which far away from me anymore. I could ask my Japanese classmate and communicate more cultures with them.

6. I really enjoyed your post because there are a lot of things that distinguish a culture and ultimately, a person. With food, you mentioned how it has a large influence of a person’s culture. I agree because I am Mexican and mainly everything I eat or make at home, is Mexican food. It also goes to show that food influences other cultures to try and familiarize with as well. For example, I enjoy eating Chinese food and it’s because of my exposure to the culture. I went to a Chinese acrobats show once and tried some of the foods at the even that were given. I had a great interest in trying more and so I sought out to eat Chinese food shortly after at a restaurant. It was great because not only was the food great, the restaurant was too. It showed a lot of history from China and presented a great amount of culture from the colors of the plates, to the fortune cookies and people who were working there as well. I think that in the end, it’s not just language that sums up a culture. It’s a whole lot more. It’s great to learn about all the differences and similarities as well. That’s what I like about cultures in general.