M. Knott- Week 7- Final Reflections

Culture, society, and environment is a web that connects everyone and everything. The way people perceive the world is shaped by these things. Each culture has complex rules that define the way people live their lives. Structures of difference came up in almost every reading and film. The way a miner in China thinks of himself and the system he exists within is very different than how I, a white woman living in the U.S., perceives my one life. The man works to provide more for his family and children. I have the opportunity to learn anything, and go almost anywhere. Smith in Blackness, Citizenship, and the Transnational Vertigo of Violence in the Americas talks about the experience of being constantly afraid in a country that you were born in, a country that claims to be free. This experience is very different than even the white American. The important thing to note about this class is that all experiences of people are different. Many people are influenced by multiple cultures. Not to mention that many people also hold multiple different places in society. This class reveals the complex nature of society, culture, and environment and the effect it has on all people. Class, race, gender, sexuality are just a few of the things that influence people and culture. Near the end of the course, the lectures focused on different systems of labor and different ways people are classified in societies. Many readings and movies touched on the disadvantages of the poor along with the disadvantages of cultures that did not fit with the globalizing market. From potato farmers to shell traders, people have been hurt by their refusal to play the game of a monolithic market. Yet many in the world benefit and prosper because of globalization. More women each day are being educated world wide with the use of technology whose origins are American or Japanese. Globalization may threaten many cultures, but the world will never become one village. No one experience can be had by every person. Cultures and differences will continue to thrive. That is what I have learned in this class.

3 thoughts on “M. Knott- Week 7- Final Reflections

1. I like the fact that you emphasized that everyone’s experiences and culture influences their own interpretation of things. It is very true, and sadly due to things like ethnocentrism, humans tend to negatively view “the other”. (Basically anyone outside of their own social norm or anyone that represents something they’re not.) I can only hope that people will learn from history and realize that everyone won’t be like you. Across the world there are different religions, different family structures, different concepts of kinship and relationships. These differences aren’t right or wrong but need to be looked at from a perspective like that of an sociocultural anthropologist. If anything, I think that is the most valuable lesson to take from this course. I enjoyed reading your reflections!

2. I agree with you that everyone has their own unique experience and it is not always easy for us to take in or imagine the way someone else might experience something. I think that’s one of the interesting things about being an anthropologist. The idea of trying to break down events and experiences and cultures into facts without bias.

I also agree with your statement that “many people are influenced by multiple cultures”. I think that what we learned about globalization in this class makes that abundantly clear. And the more globalization spreads and takes hold, the more this will become true for everyone on earth, even those in the most remote areas.

I liked that you mentioned that you were able to see the differences in yourself and the cultures we read about and that it seemed to make you more aware of how many cultures there are in the world and how they all work together.

3. I like your post and I agree with you. Like you wrote, culture, society and environment influence all people. These three things influence each other but do not determine one another. In my opinion, I believe culture is really important for people. Because culture make people’s view and thinking. People in different culture may think different and understand different. It is really interesting to see how culture can change people. Also like you mentioned, in these days, there are many people experience many different cultures. These people who experiences many different cultures can easily notice the great power of culture. The lectures about different systems of labor and different economic systems are also interesting. I learned a lot that there are many systems of labor are not fit good in today’s market. However, with the globalization, more and more countries and groups started to change their systems to fit today’s market better.