I. Rodriguez – Week 7 – Final Reflections

This course opened many doors in the mind to what structures there are in all of mankind. Week 3, 4, and 6 were the most interesting to me because the moments involved with rituals and cultural differences are some of the most deep rooted aspects of life. The meaning behind every ritual is almost uncanny in tracing back just how far these practices date. I spoke about graduation and how it was a right of passage into professional adulthood and I am sure many cultural differences come into play. The cultural staple of American graduation is flipping the tassel from the right side to the left as the recent graduate crosses the stage. Another cultural staple for this ritual is the classic composition of music when the graduates walk down the aisle into their seats or across the stage as they receive their diploma.

Kinship is related to right of passage and rituals because a wedding is one of the most classic rituals done in human nature. There has been an evolution through the years as to what is valued in the ritual but the main factor is still apparent. Agreeing to a social, legal, and emotional bond through two people which in the end makes a structure. A married couple withholds many, many social structures within itself may it be becoming parents, role models, and contributing to the family kinship chart through becoming a new aunt/uncle or sister/brother-in-law.

There is a lifelong, meaningful connection between two humans in marriage. Globalization and cultural differences take the wedding into certain directions based on geography but all three weeks tie into one fold in this situation. Researching different marital practices through each religion, culture, or country is something that exemplifies the values of the region. May it be stomping on a glass, exchanging vows, or being lifted up onto chairs. There is meaning behind every social structure.

2 thoughts on “I. Rodriguez – Week 7 – Final Reflections

1. Hi, I have the same perspective as yours that I like the topics in Week 3, 4 and 6, because they were talking cultural information a lot. And the class materials introduce many interesting information from other cultures. For example, in Week 6, the reading “How Sushi Went Global” introduces the history of Sushi’s developments in U.S. The reading talked about the impact of globalization and how the globalizations change the sushi’s history. It is interesting to know that the reason of people who like sushi. People like sushi are not only because they use fresh material, but also its “cool look”. I believe food is one of the most important factors of a culture. The class gives me a very attractive aspect to introduce the topic of globalization. And for understanding the cultures better, we also did many observations in this class such as observing rites and block help me to understand the topic better as well.

2. Hi I. Rodriguez,

I really enjoyed your blog post because it gave me a new perspective on unique “systems of meaning” that exist in society. I think you linked kinship and religion/rituals together very well by discussing significant events such as marriage. While I acknowledge that kinship is influenced by culture, and not determined by biology, I never considered the significant impact that these rituals and rites of passage have on the organization and complexity of a family. As you mentioned, marriage unites two individuals on more than just their fundamental behaviors and beliefs—it’s a social, legal and emotional bond. Similarly, I never considered how various geographic regions contribute unique approaches to universal rituals and rites of passage based on their religion and their culture. As you touched on in your last sentence, systems of meaning don’t exist solely in beliefs and characteristics; instead, these systems of categorizing and understanding the world are found in every social structure, whether that be marriage, divorce, religious sacraments, rites of passage and so on.