Y. Wu – Week 7 – Final Reflections

First of all, I would like to talk about week 2, meanly it is about difference. Most importantly, the cultural difference, although that some of the difference made from the cultural difference is incorrect, but the cultural difference is a really interesting topic, this week, I learn a lot about the racial problems and the history of it from the lecture and from the article. I think it have really important place to link following knowledge that we have to understand how different occurred and how we should look at those difference.

Second, for week 5, I think it is really linked to the week 2 that shows me how cultural difference happened in the first place, and what factors can influence culture and what all of those factors can influence. This is also one of the week that I enjoyed most, because this week’s content also have a great deal of connection to my major, economic. Like I said earlier that week 2 we learned a little bit about how cultural difference occurred, in this week, we learned how different cultural was born, and why they are being so much difference from each other. We have a deeper understanding about culture, society at this points.

By understanding all that, it comes to week 6, globalization and an interconnected world, that I think is really fascinating to me that I been experience this a lot, and I was kind of expecting this from the beginning of this class. I think it is really important for most of people to understand is concept and try to take advantage of this concept. Just like in the film <Life and Debt>, some international companies are already taking advantage of people from third world countries, but I’m not talking about those companies, I’m talking about the good time to cross the cultural boundaries that we can use those opportunities to learn other culture, and to meet new people.

4 thoughts on “Y. Wu – Week 7 – Final Reflections

1. Hello,
    I like your positive spin on systems of differences that you concluded your blog post with in regards to globalization. In fact that was very similar to the conclusion of my own blog post. I am reminded of the ideas presented in week 5 of the course material “Making a Living/Building a Life” which addresses the subject of “systems of exchange”. Within the lecture “systems of exchange” exchange and contact with those who operate differently has a direct correlation with the advancement of civilization. We are more knowledgeable and functional in this world when we are exchanging ideas, resources, and practices. Also, racial groups, as you mentioned, are one of the most profound systems of differences. Within the second week of course material, race is so heavily focused on because it is a wonder that it is a sociocultural measure but yet and still it is solidified in our minds as a huge difference in the identification of people. Racial differences, and thus stratification, have the ability to separate a single country, our own country.
    Enjoy the rest of your summer!
    -Victoria

2. Your posting makes me think more about the difference of globalization. And I like your posting a lot! As you mentioned in your posting, difference is the main subject. Under the background of globalization, people choose to obey the principle of seeking common ground while maintaining difference. And also, when you talked about the racial problems, or how does the course materials connected with your major economics, we could find that the rationality of the differences is based on the different development of each area from all over the world. We have to admit that globalization will benefit all of the human, and will change the pattern of rich and the poor. But from the current point of view, it is only partial, limited, and have some reservations as well. And last but not least, I think we have the reason to believe that the development of globalization would bring a much better life to people, if we could really take the advantages of it as you said.

3. I think what you mentioned is the core of this course- how culture differences occurs and what are the different manifestations across different places of the world, which I believe, is the main concept of sociocultural anthropology. Similarly in my blog post I conclude the beginning of anthropology is the recognition of the system of difference, and describing and understanding the differences in terms of how people live, how people interact with each other, are the main questions sociocultural anthropologists look at. I agree wholeheartedly we learnt a lot about both cultures of our own, and cultures in other parts of the world a lot through this course. These understandings are also embedded into theoretical knowledge about sociocultural anthropology, thus we are able to make meaning of the observations we did, through videos, blog posts from other students. Although we are both from China, I also saw many different perspectives from your blog posts as well, which is interesting as we know cultures differ even within one nation.

4. Hi, by reading your post, I found the most three interesting topics you like are about impact of culture on people. In Week 2, we talked about the difference of people. It talks about the development of people’s perspectives about race. It is very interesting to see other people’s thoughts about race in our posts of Week 2, after reading it I knew more about American’s thoughts about race. And in Week 5, we learned some different cultures through their economic systems. In that week, we learned different histories of economy from different culture and how they apply these systems until today. For learning different culture information, I also like Week 6. In Week 6, we learned the impact of globalization on different cultures. The reading “How Sushi Went Global” is very interesting and attractive, it helps me to understand the topic. The whole course taught us many different cultures through many aspects.