D. Chapin – Week 7 – Final Reflections

Reflectively, I think it is easy to see the connections from week to week, films to readings, and back to the lectures. Anthropology encompasses so much of the human condition in its studies, it is interesting to see the causation and correlation between topics. In truth we are all vastly similar to each other; we are our own oxymorons – collectively unique.

Week One we discussed what anthropology was and how anthropologists study cultures of people. Importantly, taking an inside and outside view. In the 1.1 video “Doing Anthropology” we say how an anthropologist took an inside look at making cheese within a culture. Week Two was a look at the background of anthropology and important theories, along with a lecture on human diversity and the social concept of race within cultures. 2.1 PBS video “Race: The Power of Illusion – Part 1”, discusses the social concept of race within cultures. Both videos focus on human connection to one another is based on culture, or social pathways, rather than the biological similarities between each other. Week Three was focused on signs, language, and rituals (secular and non-secular). In Saussure’s article “Nature of the Linguistic Sign”, we can see how across many languages there are many words for the same thing. While we my not understand another language, universally we all know what a cat is and what a dog is. Even though in spanish they may be el pero and el gato, the concept of the dog and cat is shared across cultures and languages.

In short, people are much more relatable than we may consider ourselves. Although we may believe we lead different lives, individually we all rely upon our cultures and communities, and interactions with other cultures and communities around us to sustain us. With that, we are all also directly and indirectly affecting and influencing one another throughout the world.

One thought on “D. Chapin – Week 7 – Final Reflections

1. One thing I enjoyed about reading your blog post is that there are certain similarities I too found while reading each week’s lectures. I agree with you that people are much more relatable than what we may not see. Our cultures are based on our communities and how they reflect upon each other. It’s easy to assume that a person is a part of one culture or one religion based on their race of body form. Though, if you take the time to talk to someone and learn about them, you’ll soon realize that maybe that person isn’t who you thought they were. Their language and beliefs may in fact be different that what you first expected. From the rituals lecture, it talked about how although certain cultures have different rituals, they all circulate back to being relatable as one. It does in fact impact our world because of how time is rapidly changing. Culture adds onto society’s culture and adjust to humans everywhere. I really liked learning about how culture with anthropology changes throughout the course of time. With the article that talked about How Sushi Went Global, it depicts how our culture is now because of one ritual. Sushi is now globally famous. In a sense that it a favorite among people all across the world. The same goes with Italian food like pasta, or Mexican food. I enjoy how everything keeps evolving and hope to learn more about cultural anthropology in the future.