D. Liu- Week 7- Final Reflections

How we view our surroundings and the differences across cultures allows us to understand the best we can the systems of differences in the past and the present. From the old hierarchy belief of the Great Chain of Being to today’s social construct of race, some cultures are still treating particular ethnic groups with little humanity. It becomes difficult for a society to escape its own ethnocentrism without knowing cultures aside from its own. Christen Smith’s article “Blackness, Citizenship, and the Transnational Vertigo of Violence in the Americas” points out the police brutality mainly directed towards black people in Brazil, and the vast difference in treatment from whites. The weekly lectures provided insights into multiple cultures, such as the use and value of traditional currency compared to modern money in Papua New Guinea. Traditional shell money and Doba currency have been around for thousands of years for these people, and they are slowly being pushed away since the introduction modern money. The use of modern money has been a common nuisance for many residents, and cannot always do what traditional money can, such as providing easier redistribution within the community without concern that it may leave the larger community. Aside from the cultural diffusion of modern money in New Guinea, we can see the cultural diffusion of Sushi in the U.S. from Theodore C. Bestor’s article “How Sushi Went Global”. The taste of sushi in the U.S. has been adapted to suit the American palate, and the attitude towards Sushi slowly represent sophistication, class and education standing. Sushi is not the only restaurants where we see cultural diffusion and hybridization, Chinese American Restaurants as well have created their own special dishes specifically for their new consumers, such as Almond chicken and General Tso’s. The film “Life in Debt” by Stephanie Black shows Jamaican workers competing with other imports, and many factories closing down, while companies and factories find cheaper labor elsewhere. It seems everything is globalizing with the movement of people, culture, and goods, there are many ideas and cultures assimilating within various societies, and the results can turn out positive or negative for both groups.

4 thoughts on “D. Liu- Week 7- Final Reflections

1. I completely agree with your analysis of things here. I too think that ethnocentrism plays a huge part in the gaps between comfort in cultural differences and variance between countries and continents. Also, I think that there is too much similarity between the treatment of black people in Brazil and in America, even though we may be a little bit further ahead…too many stories on the news that counter the progress we have “made.” I think that with the use of non-industrialized countries for labor and service for industrialized countries that they need to transition them over from currency that is not able to be put into a bank and turned into money of their use. With cultural hybridization, some countries are adapting to new food tastes (such as the U.S. and sushi), some are adapting to banks coming into their towns and requiring them to exchange their current currency for bank money, to even treatment of people based on their race and the culture that they have and practice in public.

2. I really like your post and totally agree with your opinion. For ethnocentrism, I think this is a kind of blind confidence, because no one can judge the quality of a nation. Different nations have different cultures, this is the result of human cultural development. For cultural adoption, you also provide good examples, Sushi development in U.S. They adjust Sushi’s taste to meet local people.. American Chinese food is also a good example. We can find organ chicken and General Tso’s Chicken in Chinese restaurant, these are American customers’ favorite, but never for Chinese customers. This is because these food taste is more meet with American tastes. I also agree that the trend of globalization bring two different results, bad and good. Developed country for reduce product cost, they prefer to choose find cheap labor in developing country. This seems can temporary help, like provide job, promote economic, but in the long term, this is bad for developing countries. The developing countries only provide labor and resource, they didn’t get core technology, which means they need to continue consume their own resources and labor to serve developing countries. This is not good for their long term development. Good job.

3. I like how you treated this as one big class instead of breaking down each category. This felt much more real to me because it was how the class felt. Anthropology. Each week was a different part of that but it always led back to week one. I especially like how it was easy to tell which sections you were talking about when it came to examples. These acted as lures to keep my mind focused as to which part you were talking about while I was reading. Also your link to the sushi part of the lecture was great too because that was not necessary but added more information. The only thing I could really complain about is that you pretty much go right for race. And that only bugs me because that was not the first thing we learned about so I am just nitpicking. Really good last post, it has been a pleasure being in a class with you.

4. I really like your post and I completely agree with your opinions. The old hierarchy of the great chain is incorrect and should be replaced, because all cultures and all races are equal, there is no differences of qualities among these groups. Also, your words about culture diffusion is convincing, I like part when you mentioned that Chinese restaurants in America is adjusting it tastes to adapt to American’s tastes, that is so true because no one can’t image how I feel when I first went to Panda express and saw all those dishes I’ve NEVER seen before, almond chicken, fortune cookies, and how funny when I saw orange chicken in Akers really have fresh orange in it. It supposed to be dried orange skin! Well I don’t want to blame them to much because some of them actually taste good, now I just see it as a totally different new dish.