Haolong li- Week 7 post- Final Reflections

This lesson topic is Introduction to cultural anthropology, from these six weeks study, I have new definition and new understanding for cultural anthropology. At first, for “culture”, I think it is a synonymous of historical sites and never think cultural will integrated into daily life. Now, my definition of culture is not confined to one aspect. These weeks’ lectures help me to know and learn culture from different aspect. From a description of nearby environment to system of difference, a ritual, kinship chart, system of exchange and cultural adoption. These are all culture reflection, even seems so irrelevant, but all belong to culture.These things let me know that culture is integrated in our daily life, not only in books.

I am impressed for week one, three and four. In the first week, I describe a block near my apartment, standing in one place to observe the surrounding environment give me a different feeling to this block. Slow down and go into the place, give me a new feeling about life and culture. The local living environment is a reflection of culture. Week 3 is description of a ritual, after I watch all lectures post and decide to choose ritual, I found ritual and culture are closely linked, like weeding ceremony, Western and Chinese are totally different and based on local culture. Clothes, music, color are all have strict rules, these are all because of local cultural practices. For week 4, I describe my kinship chart. I follow lectures and video to lean how to use graph to describe family relationship. My family is a special combination, because is a combination of different nationalities. I search the reason on Internet and found this with the history of China. I am impressed with these three weeks is because I found these individuals things have closely linked with culture, and help me to found different accept of culture.

2 thoughts on “Haolong li- Week 7 post- Final Reflections

1. I liked how you gave an overview of how your understanding of culture changed over the past several weeks that we have been in this course. Mine changed, too, and I thought that the course helped me open my horizons and consider other viewpoints from other societies. Like you mentioned, this class also helped me see more aspects of culture that I hadn’t considered before, like the ways that different groups subsist and the ways that they incorporate rituals into their lives. Finally, as the weeks have gone on, I have really begun to understand how the various topics that we’ve seen these past few weeks tie together and influence one another. Writing these blog posts has given me an appreciation for the interrelatedness of the various aspects of cultural anthropology, and from what you’ve written in this post, it seems like that’s something that you’ve been picking up on, as well. It’s good to see the world through different lenses now and then.

2. Hey,
    I agree with the whole overview that you wrote about the different aspects of culture. “Week 3 is description of a ritual, after I watch all lectures post and decide to choose ritual, I found ritual and culture are closely linked, like weeding ceremony, Western and Chinese are totally different and based on local culture. ” Especially from this part, I feel exactly the same with you. When you face some cultural shocks on every aspect of your daily life, you will feel the differences on living, working and even more. You also listed some specific contents on the cultural aspects. I believe that from learning this course, I gained more understanding on cultural anthropology and being more inclusive to other cultures, no matter it is by the physical appearances or specific manners. Also globalization brings another whole concept on cultural mixture and how people react to the facts or the more diverse community.