J. Jackfert- Week 7- Final Reflections

Week 1 Gave us the basics of anthropology setting up what it is and terms commonly used to describe it. We learned how inside and outside views are important and can make a difference in what we are observing and how biases create different outlooks which is explained through different weeks. Week 2 we step into a more specialized into how people are categorized by their looks. People are not biologically different races which is a common misconception. The views of other is what makes people think that whites are more similar to whites and blacks to blacks, etc. With these different races comes different languages and religions that create even smaller sub categories in week 3. Within each race there are people that belong to different churches, and speak different languages. In week 4 we learned about kinship and descent groups. It touches upon where people think they come from and their relations to the people they come from. Within this is the idea of incest, who you can and cannot marry and things of that nature. These vary from place to place and can be different within different groups of people. Gender roles also vary from place to place and are defined by the social nature of a place. In week 5 we learned about how people make money in different places. Again this is different in many different cultures and how they spend it is also very different. There are many different types of money throughout the word and some societies have even created their own apart from the normal currency. Week 6 incorporates how these cultures have spread across the world and why they are doing so in the idea of globalization.

Within each different society there are people with different skin colors, religions, languages, income, work, and ways of life. With that all being said in week 2 systems of a difference in Race: Power of an Illusion it is discussed that those things do not relate people in anyway. This is seen in week 5 where black people feel they do not make as much money as white people and are given less jobs than them a lot of the time. In the movie  To the Light: Chinese Minors we learn about the harsh conditions they face and how unfair it is for them. The categorization of skin color/race is seen in languages in week 3 where mostly people of the same race speak the same language. Also, race being a deciding factor is seen in week 6 where we think of refugees and people escaping terrible situation in their countries as outsides and different from the rest of us because they are typically of a different race unlike in the story On the Run: Narrative of an Asylum Seeker where Ada is just in a refugee position.  Race is a huge aspect of why we think the way we do and is hard to think that there is no biological aspect connecting people of the same race.

4 thoughts on “J. Jackfert- Week 7- Final Reflections

1. I like how you go week by week when talking about the course. It shows why each one is important and how they all intertwine. I also like how you bring it all home in a separate paragraph. This was a great way to put your examples in, say why they are important, and still maintain the flow. I would have liked to have seen a bit more on globalization here, you pretty much just mention what it is then move on to the next paragraph. Also I would have liked it to have ended on a positive note instead of just saying why race is a hard thing to come to terms with. Your examples were spot on though, really hit the nail on the head with those. You seem to be very passionate on the material for week four too. I find that having a more obvious preference is good to show which part of the course most interested you. Really good post, and have a grand time in your next year of school.

2. I really enjoyed in your first paragraph how you mentioned each topic for each week of the course, it really broke down what we learned. I do have a question on what you meant by saying “those things do not relate people in anyway”? I thought that from the movie ‘Race: Power of an illusion’ that while we may look different with different skin tones, languages, religions etc. we are all a lot similar than we realize. Also, we relate to one another culturally through language or through religious traditions. I do/ don’t like your last sentence though by saying “race is a huge aspect of why we think the way we do and is hard to think that there is no biological aspect connecting people of the same race”. I do like it when you say race is a huge aspect of the way we think, and I do not like it when you say that it is hard to believe that race plays no biological aspect in our lives. I do not like your statement because it is easy to believe, because science has proven that there are no difference between us. We are also all humans, and our skin color doesn’t change us biologically speaking. There are even skin variations within our own immediate families so why would it be so hard to believe that we are all not that different from one another.

3. Your post was nice in how it starts with an overview of the topics covered from each week. It was good how you then decided on one topic from week 2 and were able to relate it to 3 different weeks. It’s interesting to see how much of an impact race, religion, language and other aspects of one life has in the interaction of different cultures. Like you said, we learned early in week 2 that race does not make people any different, yet there are many instances where people are treated as if there was a difference. Your examples were great in how they each show how people are treated different based on their race and other factors they have no control over. This can also be seen in “Life and Debt” from week 6 where people are at the hands of globalization because they are seen as a source of cheap labor for richer countries.

4. Really great post. I think you pretty successfully synthesized the past 7 weeks into something condensed, but very comprehensive. I really liked how you use race (not negatively) as kind of the underlying theme and tied several different concepts together. First, at a very base level (like through language and how people, anthropologically speaking, differ), but then also brought it all the way to the present by tying in the more complicated but ever-present role of our race and interpretation of it in a largely globalized world. It’s interesting though, how you mentioned that it’s hard to believe that race doesn’t have a role in our biological natures, yet that’s what we spent a whole week talking about. Race is by no means embedded in our genes or biology, although it has unfortunately taken that burden due to how our exteriors look to people of different races.I get what you meant though, because even as there’s more mixture of marital ties and family ties between different ethnicities and races, people of certain generations exclude this reality from their worldview.