K. Doyen – Week 7 – Final Relfections

Throughout this course there was a focus on culture versus race. Many people used to believe and some still do that race and culture are the same. They think that because of the way you are when you are born that you will be more likely to eat insects or be less smart. In, Recognizing Cultural Diversity, from our week two readings, they started by saying that race and culture are not the same because there are a lot more cultures in this world than there are races. They also continued on to say, “Cultural inheritances evolve much faster than genetic inheritances” (90). If they were the same they would happen at the same time. This is similar to the week three material we discussed regarding rituals. There are many different types of rituals that can happen throughout someone’s life. These rituals are what help shape someone’s culture. These rituals don’t always happen to people in the same race at the same time. Once again disproving that culture and race are as directly related as people thought. Finally, in our week four discussion we talked about kinship and its relationship with our culture. In, Ties that Connect, it says, “Kinship plays a fundamental role in weaving the tapestry of culture” (113). Once again we see this relationship between race and culture. Someone’s race is determined based off of his or her parents. So, if their parents were raised with a certain culture, they are most likely going to carry this down to the next generation. This creates the link that many people see as race and culture being completely intertwined even though they are two completely separate things. These readings have meaning making referenced throughout because they are consistently trying to bring meaning into culture and relate it to the way the world works. They are also creating meanings that disprove why culture and race would be the same thing.

3 thoughts on “K. Doyen – Week 7 – Final Relfections

1. I strongly agree with your argument on race and culture. Many believe that they are more or less the same. They may be the same for a chance, but they are not necessarily correlated with each other. There are many examples in which same races having different cultures, and same cultures having different races. Even in the United States, it would be very wrong to say that there is only one culture. Americans have many different cultures. Midwest and West Coast do not have an unified culture. Same goes with Korea, my home country, where there are often clashes within the country among many different cultures. I also agree that kinship plays a great role in developing one’s culture. Rituals are passed down to generations, so the parents’ role play a great deal. This, in fact, creates a bit of disconnect between race and culture because what your parents teach can lead to what culture you may have.

2. I really like your point here. I now think race and culture are not the same thing. Truth be told, I was not as aware of this before I started this class as after I have taken this class. I think that us, as a human race needs to realize that race and culture do not always go hand in hand. For example, just because you are Chinese, does not mean that you have the same cultural practices as the people who live in China. I have a friend from Harare, Zimbabwe and when she was six years old she moved and was raised in a town outside of Chicago and now has a culture that is very much outside her original place of origin. If people just assumed that race and culture go together, they would be extremely confused with meeting this friend that I have because her race and culture do not match the ideal race/culture matching. Overall, this article was well written and wrapped back to the point and gave sufficient evidence. Good job.

3. I can see where you’re coming from in the idea that culture and race are different things. We learned in the second week of this course that race is in fact a social construct. Two people of different races can be more similar to one another genetically than two people of the same race. It’s easy as human being’s for us to categorize and stereotype individuals based off appearance, but just because two people look the same on the outside that does not prove they have more similar genes. Culture on the other hand is not a social construct, because it’s something that exists in so many different variations across the world. Culture is something that can change and evolve and it’s unfair to assume things about a person just because of their skin color or ethnicity. I really liked how you incorporated the idea of Kinship in determining the culture one is from. It seems plausible that the relationship with parents has a bigger impact on the individual than the race they belong to. This is because the kinship helps create it’s own unique cultural background for each individual.