S.Luo-Week 7 – Final Reflection

This course offers me a quite unique way of thinking about the meaning making  of the themes throughout the past 6 weeks. For example, week 4 put forward my notice on the kinship chart in several aspects with generally in terms of my mom’s side and dad’s side, and from the perspectives of the relatives amount, gender as well as their marital statue. This gives me the insights of looking at the ways in which people are related to each other and how we define family, male, and female from the perspective of kinship system. Week 5 has shed lights on making a living and building a life. According to the reading, there were a few different types of exchange systems we discussed in class, including hunter/gatherer, horticulturist, agriculturalist, and industrialist. The focus of this week is on economic systems, labor, and production and how the individual navigates these systems to provide for his- or herself and family. Besides, week 6 discussed globalization and the Interconnected World. I’ve used the example of Shanghai Disneyland which is officially open recently, American culture has a great influence in China and it has a distinct attributes of consumption culture, China’s cultural market is with the potential development of blowout, but the cultural industry in China is still at the lower stage of development, mostly it is still in the developing mode of imitating other countries, the United States is the key object to imitate. This theme gives us the meaning of considering the ways that culture, goods and people move from one place to another and how they are incorporated in the new place. Overall, I’ve learnt that how to look at the culture from many different perspectives and dimensions, thinking about the culture across the boundaries from a way of how anthropologists do. On the other hand, this course provides a very interesting way of learning the type of methods of the anthropologists use to do.

2 thoughts on “S.Luo-Week 7 – Final Reflection

1. Thanks for sharing your perspective on the following weekly themes shared during the duration of this course. I couldn’t agree with you more on the general results from the various kinship charts each of us shared. My kinship system also made me realize a lot more than I knew, mainly from the relationships shared amongst my cousins. The bulk of my family are made up of extended cousins and great cousins, so I think that section in our module taught us a lot about family. You also gave great insight and detail on your interpretation of American culture and the Chinese culture and how the two correlate amongst one another. Though we influence China and their supplies, Chine also impacts America do to the market demands. I believe this class has taught us all how to broaden our assumption about culture and forced to think in a manner that all anthropologist have for many years.

2. I agree with your example of meaning making in week 4. In terms of family I found it really interesting how different cultures give different meaning to family. In making my kinship chart I realized how I’m relatively disconnected from my family. I was thinking about trends and in that I saw how much our family values differ based on immediate family. This is a big contrast to many non-white American and collectivist cultures that have more interconnected kinship charts and family relations. For example some of them call siblings who we would call cousins or calling aunts something similar to a parent, indicating a closer relationship bond and structure. This can have to do with the way kinship works in terms of matrilineal or patrilineal as well. This sort of different meaning we put on family ties can be seen in differentiating relatives on the mother’s side versus the father’s side in the word used for them. These differences in meaning we put to family can strongly influence cultures at their core.