- Lecture: 5.1. Systems of Exchange (22 min)
- Lecture: 5.2. Social and Economic differentiation (16 min)
- PDF: 5.1. Rosman and Rubel – Chapter 8: “Production, Distribution and Consumption” In Tapestry of Culture 179-221
- PDF: 5.2. Bourgois, Phillipe – Chapter 13: “Poverty at Work: Office Employment and the Crack Alternative” In Conformity and Conflict
- Film: 5.1. Pig Tusks and Paper Money (50 minutes)
- Film: 5.2. To the Light: Chinese Miners (68 minutes)
- Blog Posts: Systems of Exchange
- Blog Comment: Comment on the posts of two of your classmates. These comments should be approximately 150-200 words each. Your comment should either add to a classmate’s argument by citing more evidence or respectfully disagree. Base your comments on course readings, lectures, and films. Personal opinions are not the same as reflections based on the required materials.