W2 Archaeology in the News Post

After an underwater archaeological expedition just outside of Fourni, an Aegean Sea Island, archaeologists were able to confirm that this island was a very important trade center for the Aegean Sea.  A team of archaeologists from Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities has just completed an expedition in the Aegean Sea where they found 23 sunken ships along with various types of artifacts such as pottery, and anchors suggesting the great importance of this trade route because of its geographic location.  Other finds also included Koan amphorae, Sinope amphorae and Aegean amphorae. This type of survey can be considered maritime archaeology or possibly nautical archaeology because it is an investigation of not only ships but of sunken ships underwater.  This type of archaeological expedition adopted more of a processual approach through its hypothesis testing.  Before they had found these 23 ships, 22 sunken ships had been found last year when the archaeologists had hypothesized that this island was a major trade center for the Aegean Sea.  Going on this new expedition was a way of testing their hypothesis and the finding of 23 more ships only strengthens their assumption.  This type of hypothesis testing is characteristic to processual archaeology which aims to explain the how and why of archaeological finds. 

“Another 23 shipwrecks located off the Greek island of Ikaria”

Published: 12 July 2016

Accessed: 14 July 2016

Source:  Archaeology News Network

2 thoughts on “W2 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I found your news post very interesting because I rarely hear about archaeologist doing searches underwater. That was very interesting to see and made me wonder how they do that. I was also wondering what culture lived on the Aegean Sea Island. You kept discussing the hypothesis the archaeologist had that made them curious to search the Aegean Sea but what were the hypothesis exactly? What was the significance behind the ships that was so fascinating to the archeologist? Did the potery had any significance to it that could be trace to a certain culture? That’s just some information I would really like to know since you don’t hear a lot about underwater sites.

2. Logan, this article sounds especially interesting due to the fact that the expedition was in the sea. It would be fun to view regular land expeditions and the processes taken there but I am sure that underwater projects have their own unique challenges and techniques. It is good to relate these general approaches to the types of archaeology we learned this week, as you have. I am curious as to what kind of information they are able to extract from a site like this, since the aqueous environment would play a large role in the preservation of the artifacts. I also wonder how far apart these discoveries were.