The Morton Village project is bringing a different perspective of the lives of Native Americans hundreds of years before Europeans stepped foot on North American soil. The Morton project combines different aspects of archaeology allowing a better understanding of the people that lived in the area. The culture history approach is recognized when archeologists can define Oneota and Mississippian remains are identified throughout the site. Those excavating the area can show the groups were in the area based on similar findings found at other sites where the groups were isolated to themselves. The foundations of the homes each group constructed have very different styles and are easy to distinct which group fabricated which building. The processual perspective is attributed to the analyzation of the ritual sites located in the village. There were multiple events that seemed to have occurred in the ritual site such as large gatherings, dining areas, and shops to make pottery and other tools. A contextual view is considering the big question about the village: How were the two groups combined at this site and how did they interact with one another if it was at the same time. Understanding this is going to take much more excavating in hopes to find a clue that combines or separates the tribe. What has interested me most in these finds is the fact that both men and women were equally injured at the time of death. In todays society when I think of war I think of military men running at each other and there is no woman in sight even though women are become a larger percentile of the military. These findings tell me that they were all equal and the strongest people in the village fought, or there was a large battle and they needed men and women. Other questions I would ask about this village is what did they do a recreational activities? Did they have sports like soccer? Did they have board games similar to chess? Or did they only work each day trying to survive by finding food? It would be interesting to know more about their lives instead of the basics like who lived where and what the buildings could have held at the time of their use. Another question I have is how long were these groups at the site? It seems like the land would be fruitful with animals and rich soil for cultivation, but did they end up fighting and killing each other causing them to move from the land.

1. I agree to the analysis about the perspectives of archaeology used in Morton Village site. The three approaches, cultural history, processual, and contextual perspective, are mixed in this archaeology project. Archaeologists would use them at right time to discover the information they would like to know. And the most interesting thing in this project, which is the violence trace on their bodies, also attracted me. But the thought is extended after this article. And for the questions, I think they should have some recreational activities, even they need to survive by finding food, they still need some rest. But their recreational activities might be quite different from what we have nowadays and hidden behind some common daily items.

2. I also found it very interesting and a little alarming that both men and women were equally as affected by the violence. To me that would suggest an on going battle, as apposed to individuals, specially men hunting, leaving the village and getting attacked. Maybe rival groups were hoping to take the land or some form of revenge, they attack the Oneotas in their own village. I really enjoyed how you touched upon the curiosity of what they did in their free time, what made them happy. Comparing how they survived to how they lived. We know they survived what we don’t yet understand is how their initial survival flourished into culture.

3. Lauren, good discussion about the different approaches used at Morton Village. I also like your question about recreational activities, as there were likely activities that brought people together outside of food procurement and ritualism.