Wk 2 Archaeology in the News, Kasandra Purkey

The article that I have chosen is entitled “Earliest Known Village in Cyprus Discovered” from archaeologynetwork.blogspot.com¬†published on Tuesday July Twelfth. The sight is believed to be from the 9th millennium BC.¬†The sight has already provided many interesting finds such as evidence of domestic dogs and cats from when the sight was still populated. There is also evidence of an early wheat called emmer being cultivated. There have not been any ceramic pieces found as a majority of the artifacts are stone tools and jewelry from shells. Most importantly the sight shows that it was part of a larger classifications of developments called Near Eastern Neolithic.

I think this dig is an example of culture history. It is culture history because as the dig is examined we can find a picture of what the culture of this village was in the past by the details of their artifacts. I think that finding it similar to other developments could show a certain degree of trade or migration that would help us to understand a larger picture of the cultural environment of the Mediterranean. As excavations continue at this site the more we might discover more about the day to day lives of its inhabitants.

2 thoughts on “Wk 2 Archaeology in the News, Kasandra Purkey

1. This is an interesting discovery, looking at how there was early evidence of wheat cultivation very long ago is astounding. Also, the fact that there were already domesticated dogs and cats can show our own relation to the past and how much we have evolved from our own ancestors. I agree with the insight of how this is culture history and the many discoveries that were found from this is very interesting. This site truly shows that many advancements of cultures grew overtime and how far we have come. Overall, it was interesting to read your own insight on this article.

2. I actually looked at this article before writing about another one. I thought the bit about the domesticated animals was interesting and the early wheat was a surprise. I was also surprised by the lack of pottery at the site. I like that you included that the site is part of a larger classification, I feel like it puts the site into a greater context. I agree with your assessment that this is an example of culture history. It would be interesting to see if they can discover any links to other cultures or other Near Eastern Neolithic sites at this site.