W2 Archaeology in the News Post

URL:  URL: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3692283/The-diary-pyramid-builder-Oldest-papyrus-existence-details-workers-shifted-stones-sheep-ate-reveal-secrets-inside-Great-Pyramid-Giza.html

The Egyptian Museum in Cairo started displaying the oldest papyrus in Egypt. It dates back 4500 years and shows off the daily schedule of pyramid of Giza builders .

A quote form the article reads, “The documents also list revenues transferred from various Egyptian provinces to feed pyramid builders and pay their wages”. It is interesting to think how different parts of Egypt were taxed to pay for all the skilled workers so long ago. It remind me of the lecture about how it is not right to assume that culture has always progressed positively over time. It is obvious that this was a very advanced culture a long time ago and other cultures have been much less advanced long after them.

The archaeologist in charge of the project seemed to be most interested in how the culture worked. They were very excited about the sheep rationing information that the papyrus held. I find that kind of practical things interesting.

Another group is also using a new advanced imaging techniques to get x-ray like scans of the pyramids in hopes of finding additional chambers. I think this approach to would most align with processual archaeology. It has a heavy focus on statistical usage and computers. It also is less about history issues and more about the process.

2 thoughts on “W2 Archaeology in the News Post

1. It’s interesting to learn the culture of Ancient Egypt is similar to ours today with taxes that varied on the location of where people lived. Smaller cities have different ranges of taxes compared to larger cities, and these then vary between each state. They also kept very good records about the revenue and spending by having different colored inks. The planning that had to go into the layout of the pyramids had to be extensive in order to get the most out of the land while making the tombs big enough to hold pharaohs and other important figures during that time. They would have needed thousands of workers to be moving the large pieces as well as many others supervising the project to ensure everything went according to plan, which is difficult in itself from what I have learned in the construction business.

2. Ancient history of Egypt, China and India has always fascinated me. The pyramids date back to four thousand years ago. The size of the pyramid does not match the tools to build, which were available at that time. Or has some part of our history been erased? How could someone lift such large pieces of boulders and place them on top of each other without using some kind of modern machinery. Same is the case with Indian temples. Temples which are carved out of a single stone, some which date back to thousand of years. Temples which are on top of mountains, which is impossible without some kind of modern day transportation. Was our science really advanced at that time? Or was it something else. This question truly intrigues me a lot when I read more and more about our history.