W2 Archaeology in the News Post

In the article “New thoughts on the first farmers” that is from Mainz, Germany, it explains that farmers were though to come from a homogenous group about 12,000 years ago. Yet, now because of a genetic study it is evident that farming was not just made by this one group but several groups each separating from one another from 46-77 thousand years ago. They were from the same area, but they were no where near from the same place as one another (from Joachim Burger in the University of Mainz). I thought that this was rather interesting because it is simple about farmers and thoughts of the origination of farmers, yet there is so much information to explain their origin. I wouldn’t have thought this had anything to do with archaeology before i started this class. It also shows that any small amount of information can totally change the culture of the past and reshape it into a completely new idea. It illustrates what we learned about archaeology and how its constantly growing and theres always changes that are made. The article says that farmers originated near the South Asia (after testing DNA from a few places). This illustrates how you have to pay attention to the people living in the area as well as the artifacts and bones you find or else you may have false findings.

3 thoughts on “W2 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I like your article and the discussion of it because with archaeology (and a lot of other disciplines that deal with forming hypotheses based off of ancient findings) we have to remember that there is a good chance that we could have false findings. This is why it’s important to use a processual approach in order to refine our theories as much as possible. I also find it so fascinating that we can find one new piece of evidence and it completely changes the narrative that everyone has come to accept as the norm. I would imagine this is exciting for archaeologists as it opens up all sorts of new avenues to study an area/culture/etc….

2. The little note on false findings was a good addition. However, one thing was somewhat unclear to me while reading your post. You mention that the first farmers were not one, but several groups of people who separated from each other several thousand years ago, but your post doesn’t make it clear (to me, anyway) whether the separation occurred before or after they began to farm.

I would expect that they would have been together before discovering how to farm, as it seems unlikely that several different groups of people would simultaneously discover a practice (unless they were in communication with each other, which opens up an entirely new avenue of research!), but the wording seems to imply that they did separate beforehand (e.g. “…not just made by this one group but by several groups”.

Either way, good find. This was interesting.

3. Trying to find the origins of farming is an idea that I have not really considered before starting this class. 12,000 years of farming and it has taken this long to get where it is today. With the biggest changes being in just the last few hundred years. With something as vague as the origins of farming, I think it was appropriate to bring up the fact of possible false findings. I wonder if farming really started in South Asia or maybe it just started and stopped in many places in the world that we just don’t know about.