W2 Archaeology in the News Post

In the article, “Archaeologists discover ‘Roman Village’ in Gernsheim” from Science Daily (September 17, 2015), it discusses about a research progress that has been made in Hessian Ried about Roman imperial period. Frankfurt archaeologists previously found that there are some sort of an important village – like settlement in the North Hessian Ried. But now, they they found lots of new archaeological records that support the previous hypothesis. The main discovery is clear relics of Roman village built in as part of the well –preserved foundations of the fort. Moreover, they also found other artifacts such as shards of fine, coarse, and transport ceramics, which further suggest that the settlement was prospering.
In terms of different types of archaeological approaches, they are focusing more on processual archaeology as they observe both synchronic (ecological) and diachronic (materialism), and seek to understand cultural processes (cultural behavior). For example, the article mentioned about an effort to understand how ‘there were primarily family members of the soldiers and tradespeople who benefited from the purchasing power of the military’. From the way they hypothesized, I would say that they are looking more on the living patterns of the Roman settlement to construct a better model of past cultures and behaviors. The methodology also supported by their findings in archaeological records, which then undergo scientific examination in order to allow more accurate dating.

3 thoughts on “W2 Archaeology in the News Post

1. This seems like a very intriguing article. It always surprises me that archeologists are still making huge discoveries and doing huge excavations today. I actually did not know that Romans had ever settled in Germany! It is cool that they were able to hypothesize that because they found ceramics, that the settlement was doing well. It is also interesting that they can look at previous living patterns of Roman houses and communities to map out how the settlement must have looked. I wonder if they are using any specific scientific methods, such as carbon dating, to understand exactly when this settlement was erected, or if they are mainly just focusing on looking at the artifacts.

2. Anything that even remotely involves the Roman Empire automatically gets my attention. It is one of if not my favorite empire and or time period in history. There coming across this post made my night, I love how archaeology allows us to go back and see thee things and give us new perspectives. I liked this post because of the finding that was reported. Being able to find evidence of a prospering group or settlement is awesome and it also shed a bit more insight on our own culture and lifestyles. I will have to check this article out.

3. The history behind the Romans has to be one of the most interesting stories in my opinion. That whole era is just such a cool time in history. I really hope they decipher what those archaeological records were saying because I feel like there could be some extremely important info we could gain from there. It’s really cool how they knew that they settled in successfully just by discovering some ceramic artifacts. What I love most is that the archaeologists of the site are focusing the Roman settlement pattern and trying to learn how their culture was back in that era.