W2 Archaeology in the News Post

The article I would like to discuss about is ‘Workers unearth ancient baths and tombs in Rome’ from Archaeology News Network, published on 13th July, 2016. This article generally talked about a recently unearthed ancient Roman bath-house and series of tombs.

It mentioned that there was a church building work on the site more than one year ago but stopped because of the archaeological remains. I think it is related to what we learnt in week 1 about the protection of archaeological sites. Because the spread of archaeology ideas, people would protect these remains and wait for archaeological discover, thus people could get more information about the past.

Latterly, the article talked about the remains of the bath-house and the tombs nearby. This part is tightly about the archaeological perspectives which we learnt this week. I think the processual and post-processual perspectives are applied in this case. Based on the artifacts of plumbing and heating system, as well as the location of the bath-house, suggested not only about the way which ancient Roman lived, but also gave us some information about the trodden by traders between the port city of Ostia Antica and the Eternal City.

And the discover of those series of tombs would be cultural history. Archaeologists identified those bodies based on the remains which had been buried with the dead.

Article URL: https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/07/workers-unearth-ancient-baths-and-tombs.html

One thought on “W2 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I found your post very interesting and the article seems really cool! It surprises me that archeologists are still finding new archeological sites in Rome because it seems that a lot of them have already been uncovered! I also agree with you that the protection of archeological sites is extremely important and I am glad that the church was required to not build over these extremely valuable remains that could shed more light on how the Romans lived. The article I read was about how archeologists in Jerusalem were able to uncover bathtubs in houses which meant that the people living there were very wealthy. I wonder if it is the same in this archeological find, where the people living there were extremely wealthy or members of the upper class. Great post!