W2 Archaeology in the News

The title “New Thoughts on the First Farmers” grabbed my attention during my search for news article because I found it interesting that something that seems so old news in the world of anthropology and archaeology could possibly be lacking any information. Of course, this is probably because I’m so new to the world of anthropology and archaeology, but either way the article is very interesting. This article from Germany begins with noting previous information found that claims the first farmers to be a homogeneous group from the Fertile Crescent, which I just learned is the region containing West Asia, the Nile Delta and the Nile Valley, 12,000 years ago. However, a new genetic study has suggested that the first farmers of the world were much older than that, between 46,000 and 77,000 years old, though still from the same general area. It’s said that these people were from several groups who stayed more or less isolated from each other despite living so close. the DNA tests done on the remains from the Zagros Mountains, located in the Eastern Fertile Crescent and on the border of Iraq and Iran, were expected to resemble those done on remains from the area of modern-day Turkey, but instead they are similar to the DNA of people currently living in South Asia. This implies that the Zagros migrated east rather than west, which was what we previously believed.

Source:

New Thoughts on the First Farmers

http://www.archaeology.org/news/4649-160715-zagros-first-farmers

Date: 7-15-16

2 thoughts on “W2 Archaeology in the News

1. As I first opened up your blog post to read it, I thought the same thing as you did about the title of the article you wrote about. How could there be any information left unknown about a topic so old and familiar to archeology and anthropology? I find it very interesting that with the uncovering of some new information, dating of the first farmers’ existence jumps from 12,000 years ago to possibly 77,000 years ago. I would presume that this change of dating will effect the previous assumptions about the meaning of the timeline of tools and methods used by humans, once farming had begun.
    Thanks!

2. It is so interesting how something that seems so simple such as “who were the first farmers” can be so groundbreaking. I always thought that the first farmers were also from the Fertile Crescent because I learned that in one of my high school history classes, but the fact that the first farmers might have been around 34,000 to 65,000 years before we thought they did is absolutely mind blowing. This information could change our beliefs on when things occurred and why, just how you mentioned the timeline of tools and methods used by humans. I’m glad you found this article. Thank you for the insight!