1.)  Based off both principles of Stratigraphy, I think that Stratum B has the most detailed archaeological sequence that can be established from the evidence. It has very descriptive details about the pottery and methods used, it describes the pit and burial found in the middle of the stratum, and it even has details about artifacts found in association with the burial as well.

2 and 3.) I definitely think there are evidence of mixing, filling, etc. For example, the burial at Stratum B digs into Stratum C, hence direct evidence of digging and mixing.  Also, Strata C and D both have “straight sided bottle sprouts; bottles with undercoated triangular stirrups.”  The fact that both Strata C and D have the exact same artifacts indicates some sort of mixing or filling.  Also, Strata J and L both had “green-red-and-blue-painted pottery” as well.  According to the figure, Strata I’ and H’ also seem to have a little mixing going on due to I’ cutting right into H’.  I also think that Strata P and Q show some evidence of mixing due to the fact that their evidence had a couple exact artifacts in common, and because the burial in Stratum P dug into Stratum Q.  Finally, I think Strata R and S have some evidence for it as well because both of their descriptions were pretty much identical, except for the woven/twined cotton textiles.

4.) I would estimate that the ground level that the wall was built on was the bottom of Stratum O and top of Stratum P. I think the wall about 4 to 5 meters tall based off of the scale for Figure 1.

5.) Based off the depositional units on both sides of the wall I think that Strata H and H’ are relatively the same age due to the artifacts found and description of those findings. I think that Strata I’ and J’ are relatively the same age as well based off of the decorations and bottles found.  Strata J and L might also be the same age due to the similarities in the pottery found.  In addition, I think Strata K’ and P are about the same age as well because of the pottery with punctate decoration.

6.) The strata that bracket the construction of the walls are Strata G, H, H’, I, I’, J, J’, K, K’, L, M, N, O, and finally P.

7.) During the excavation, the archaeologists would have discovered the burial at Stratum B (an extended burial) first, and then the burial at Stratum P (a flexed burial) second. However, this does not mean that the burial at Stratum B occurred first.  In fact, it indicates the opposite due to the Law of Superposition.

1. I can see why you would go with Stratum B and the way how it does have the most detailed archaeology within it, but I’d go with Stratum U and the way how it is mostly undisturbed and follows both points in the way how it is descriptive and unique to the items it has within it. Also, mixing has occurred within the upper layers of the stratum, and how some items have been added to the lower stratums. It is interesting to learn more about this and analyze a figure where it does not seem limited to just one answer and instead can have multiple.

2. Marcus, for the first question I interpreted the question to be asking what conclusions one could make about the sequence of events, but reading your response I see that it could also ask which layer was the most detailed. In this case, I agree with your response about Stratum B. I agree that Stratum O is where the base of the wall was built. I also agree that this is the approximate height of the wall, and I had not considered that before (I didn’t even realize the scale was there). I also agree with your findings about the relative ages- I had a very similar answer for that question as well.

3. I did not notice stratum B having the most detailed archaeological sequence at first, but now I do! I do, however, also believe that there is evidence of mixing, filling, etc. It is so amazing that we can figure things out just by looking at the artifacts in that strata. I did not notice R and S having very similar descriptions at first. I also think that the wall was built on stratum O because that is where the wall seems to be resting. The decorations were very helpful for you and me both in answering many of these questions. Thank you for exposing me to more than I noticed at first!

4. In the beginning I also thought Stratum B was the most detailed based on the information that was given. However when I put into perspective of both principles separately I got a different conclusion. However the way you explained your reasoning made a lot of sense. For the second and third question I like how you list almost all the mixing and filling etc. and your reasoning and the findings that were associated with it. I also believe the wall was built on stratum O but I did not include the meters of the wall. For the burial site we had very similar answers.