One) Based on the principles of stratigraphy the most detailed sequence would be U, T through R, Q through O including K’, N and M, L through J minus J’, J’ through H’ minus J, H through E, and D through A. The artifacts in each of these groupings have similarities and are separated by clear markers, concrete floors or sand, except in the case of the layers on the right side of the wall.

Two) Yes, there is evidence of collection. I am not sure if the burials count as mixing and filling, I think they do because the dirt is excavated and mixed and then filled back in on top.

Three) The evidence of collection is found in all the layers on the right side of the wall. Much of the pottery found in these layers is similar to pottery from earlier layers and less similar to the pottery found in “parallel” layers to the left of the wall. I also think the burials count as mixing and filling because the dirt from one layer is removed and then filled back in to level the surface. The shaft burial would probably be evidence of mixing because it cuts through multiple earlier layers and if it was filled back in the dirt from all the layers would be mixed together.

Four) Assuming the wall was built at the time of the first concrete floor, it sat at ground level except for a small part which appears to have been above the ground. The part above ground level was filled in by the stratum I’. It is also possible that the wall was built during the period of strata H. If so the wall would have been below ground level. This is a possibility because the strata to the left have very different forms of pottery than the strata to the right. It is possible the area to the left of the wall was dug as storage area, since there is a large amount of pottery found there.

Five) The depositional units to the right of the wall are all older than the units to the left of the wall. This is part of the reason I think the wall was dug into the ground.

Six) O,N, M, L, K, J, I, H, I’, K’, J’, H’

Seven) The sequence of burials encountered begins with the flexed burial pit in stratum P. The next to be discovered was the extended burial of stratum B. The final burial was the shaft tomb dug from stratum A.

1. I agree with the analysis of the principles of stratigraphy and how stratum U fits it perfectly. I would say that the mixing of the burials counts if it happened during a filling process and it inevitably had the layer’s mix some of the layers and obtain different items in it. Looking more into the evidence of the mixture, is how there are similar kinds of items found within most of the upper levels and how there is no uniqueness of it. Also, it shows how the process of filling back a layer probably tends to mix the different items within that layer to another layer and can’t really be stopped except to not fill up the layer.

2. Scott, I agree with your first answer about the sequence. It is very detailed and I agree with your reasons about the similarities in artifacts, as well as the physical separations such as the floors or sand. I agree with your third answer and I think it could be applied to many of the layers. Your response to the fourth question is very interesting- I had not thought about the possibility of the wall being built during H, but your reasoning does make sense. It would explain how the layers to the left and right of the wall have different content.