Kasandra Purkey Wk 3 Reflected

Question 1: The most detailed archaeological sequence that can be established is that Stratum A is the youngest while Stratum U is the oldest. We know this because of the Law of Superposition and the Law of Strata Identified by their Contents. The law of superposition says that strata beneath layers of strata that has not been disturbed is the oldest. This is how we know that the top layer, stratum A, is younger than the bottom layer, stratum U. The law of strata identified by their contents is how we understand that when digging we have entered a new stratum because the contents represent different times which will contain different items.

Question 2 and 3: Near the Wall that breaks up some of the strata there are a few strata that share qualities that are far, and some that are not near. For example Stratum H and Stratum H’ are on opposite sides of the wall they share contents of red-painted bands on pottery and concave curved bottle spouts with beveled rims. But Stratum H has bottles with round bottoms while stratum H’ has flat bottomed bottles. Next Stratum J and L both left of the wall have Green-red-blue painted pottery. To the left of the wall there are also stratum without any cultural remains such as stratum I and stratum K. For these reasons I believe there are occurrences of mixing and unconformities.

Question 4: When I see that the left side of the wall has cement floor layers makes me think it is a house with many layers. However all the bodies are on the right of the wall so I think it might be some kind of shrine or mortuary representation.

Question 5: Based on how similar most of the artifacts are on both sides, such the examples that answer 2, of the wall it is hard figure out the age of the sides of the wall.

Question 6: I think that stratum H’ through K’ on the right side as well as H through O on the left side.

Question 7: The oldest burial is found partially in stratum P and Q where a sitting body was recovered. In stratum B there is a body laying on its back in what appears to be a shallower grave than the older grave. The newer grave is also near a shaft tomb that has a child placed in a vessel, the shaft tomb is painted on the inside and out.

2 thoughts on “Kasandra Purkey Wk 3 Reflected

1. I agree with your points. Good responses. I have a similar outlook around stratum k-h. I can add that When looking at the wall, it seems evident to me that it was built during I’ because it would have had to have been dug out, built, and then filled in, which would explain why artifacts from I’ occur all the way down the right side of the wall.
    During H’, it appears that items from their culture were “thrown” down into the bottom of the “pit” causing the differences in the position of the strata.

2. I like your statement about the evidence of occurrence of mixing, filling, collecting, or unconformities in number two, especially about the archaeological characteristics of stratum H and H’. I did not realize that these stratum have a similarity and difference of their artifact, which makes it really clear that there must be some sort of events that alter the order of deposition. I also like the way you think in number four that it could be houses with multiple layer. Overall, I think your analysis in this problem is very critical and you used all the background information really well.