1. We have learned that there are two principles of stratigraphy. The first is the law of superposition. This law states that “the depositional unit found at the bottom of an undisturbed pile of strata is older that the ones above it”. The second law is the law of strata identified by their contents. This law states that “the depositional units at any particular archaeological site can be distinguished from one another by differences in the various objects and associations they contain, and by differences in the frequencies with which the various cultural materials occur”. According to the first law, stratum U is the oldest layer. Also, as you go from Stratum A-U, you can see that there is less detailed pottery and less you can make out. The second law comes to play when you look what has been found in each layer. There are subtle differences between some and bigger differences between others.
  2. There does seem to be evidence of mixing, filling, collecting and/or unconformities. This can be determined by looking at what was found in the particular strata. An example of this is in the next paragraph.
  3. An example of this is in stratum’s G and H both have pottery with red painted bands and bottles with rounded bottoms. This can be caused by mixing and even possibly filling, which are both situations that can affect the order of deposition.
  4. It seems that the time the wall was built during the time of stratum O because that is the layer which the bottom of the wall lines up with.
  5. It seems that stratum H is around a similar age to I and J. Stratum K, L, and J seem to be similar in age because of their contents. In fact, all of their contents seem to blend in which may be due to mixing.
  6. The strata that seem to bracket the construction of the wall are stratum O, stratum N, stratum M, stratum L, stratum K, stratum J, stratum I, stratum H, and strata “I”, “J”, “K”, and maybe even “H” but I’m not too sure about that one.
  7. Stratum P is the most bottom layer that has a burial type, and it has a pit with flexed burial dug from the lower part of the layer. In stratum B, there is also an extended burial dug from the middle of the stratum. From stratums A-D, there seems to be a shaft tomb.

1. I have to disagree with you on when I feel that the wall was built (obviously I could be entirely wrong!). I feel that the wall was built during I’ and was actually dug into the ground and then built, rather than a wall that was built up into the air. I feel that this is evident in the fact that artifacts from I’ are found on the right side down the entirety of the wall, which to me means that when they dug down for the wall, their artifacts were obviously left behind, and O is the floor they built for the bottom of the pit they dug.

2. I agree that the wall was built during the time of the O strata, according to the looks of the image and according to the law of superposition. I found the strata of K, J, H and I to be interesting. I can tell that there probably was mixing due to the lineament of the strata and. I think that seeing this image on Figure 1 really helped me to visualize what stratigraphy is, and to get a better understanding of it. I find it interesting how archaeologists can find similarities and differences of artifacts on each strata, and discover whether and why the strata levels have been changed over time.

3. For the first one, I said stratum U also, because by applying the two laws, I think it is clear that stratum U satisfies them. There seems to be some kind of mixing and unconformities in stratum E when we compare it to stratum C and D. Evidence of windblown sand in stratum E proves some unconformity. I agree that the wall must be built in stratum O because it is the ground level. I found the the burial part very interesting. The way the two bodies were placed were so different being at the same geographical place but in different times. Stratigraphy is truly a very helpful tool in archaeology.

4. I agree that the stratum was built in the O stratum, yet it may have been built in the P. Of course, the stratum that would be the oldest would be the lowest stratum as it is stated by the law of superposition. I also thought that the stratum on the right were older than those on the left. Also the stratum seem to have many similarities. I especially agree with Stratum J, K and L having a lot of similarities. It seems that there were a lot of similarities of the contents in the many stratum, which lead me to believe there was similarities.