Using the principles of stratigraphy together, U would have began the sequence of these particular strata, and is the oldest. Following U would be T, S, R, Q,  and P which are relatively simple to see and understand. A cement wall then appears in the strata with its first floor being O. On the right side of the wall, it seems that K’ occurred, followed by J’ and then I’. When we come to H’, it appears that the left side of the wall begins to occur as well. With H’ and N at the same time, then M, L, K, J, and I. Then the strata begin to level off again and continue on easily from H-A.

When looking at the wall, it seems evident to me that it was built during I’ because it would have had to have been dug out, built, and then filled in, which would explain why artifacts from I’ occur all the way down the right side of the wall. It seems to me that the wall was not built for height above ground, but rather as some sort of pit into the ground with a cement bottom, although the left side of the wall doesn’t seem to have been used during the I’ period, possibly being considered an unconformity. On the right side of the wall, mixing is evident in the fact that I’ goes through all of the other strata.

During H’, it appears that items from their culture were “thrown” down into the bottom of the “pit” causing the differences in the position of the strata. Is it possible that this pit was used as some sort of a disposal site? Which would explain why new cement layers were added in at levels M, K, and I.

The only strata that seem to make very little sense are the L and J strata as they show pottery with entirely different colors from the others. If this site was in fact used as a disposal area, its possible that those pottery samples came from neighboring cultures.

The strata on the right side of the wall appear to be much older than those on the left.

In regards to the burial sites, the oldest is a flexed burial in Q and P, then an extended burial in C and B, and finally it appears a shaft tomb from A to D.

1. You made an interesting point when you said you thought the wall was built as a pit into the ground rather than from the ground up. It makes sense though, see in how the layers of strata and artifacts are shown in the image. I never thought that the strata to the right of the wall may be older than the left! I think that visualizing the image for this exercise really helped me to have a better understanding of stratigraphy.

2. Good responses and points. I agree with you, especially around looking at the wall, it seems evident to me as well that it was built during I’ because it would have had to have been dug out, built, and then filled in, which would explain why artifacts from I’ occur all the way down the right side of the wall. It seems to me that the wall was not built for height above ground, but rather as some sort of pit into the ground with a cement bottom, although the left side of the wall doesn’t seem to have been used during the I’ period, possibly being considered an unconformity. On the right side of the wall, mixing is evident in the fact that I’ goes through all of the other strata.
    This is a great explaination to why new cement layers were added in at levels M, K, and I. I had a very similar response and outlook.

3. I’m rather puzzled as to the exact reason for the cement floors being built, but I like your idea that they were used as bases for some sort of pit for trash and disposal. There has to be some reason for the cement and this seems perfectly logical.

I also agree with you about the puzzling nature of the stratigraphy are Strata L & J. It does seem very bizarre that the new colors are seemingly randomly introduced when everything else is red in color. It seems that there has to be some sort of connection to another village or culture. I’m just not sure if it’s simply influence and gift giving, or rather theft.

4. Great points on your post. Your suggestion that the wall was dug out and filled back in is quite interesting. It makes perfect sense as you described it. I actually had a different point of view on the wall but am happy to have a different view to consider. The idea of a pit makes perfect sense. The cement floors are a bit intriguing. I had considered that the left side of the wall was actually the interior and they were dumping on the opposite side of the wall. Then around “I” it was all dug out and became further mixed at that point.