1. since strata U is on the very bottom, it is the oldest according to the Law of Superposition, which states that the depositional unit found at the bottom is the oldest. This is only true if the pile of strata has gone undisturbed all this time, which, from the looks of layers E-K, isn’t quite the case. However, the older layers, U-R appear to be undisturbed.  The Law of Superposition can also be applied to almost all the other layers in order to determine a sequence, with the exceptions of layers H-N, where there is a human-made wall. In order to distinguish the strata by differences in objects as well as the frequency that the objects occur in the strata, we can use the Law of Strata Identified by Contents. Layers U-R seem to be related, but within that group, I think that U and T are more related to each other because they contain grinding stones. I think S and R are more related to each other due to the undecorated pottery and spearheads found in both.
  2. It looks like there was mixing in H-K, to the right of the wall. The burials could be considered filling, since the ground was dug up and then redistributed.
  3. The evidence for mixing in H-K is the unevenness of the layers to the right of the wall. The evidence of filling due to burials is that the graves extend between more than one strata.
  4. The cement floor was put in after the body in Q, so I think there was something built over top of a burial site. I’m hypothesizing that the wall was part of whatever structure was built on top of the burial site.
  5. It looks like I and J, which are very similar, are somewhat related to N.
  6. H-O on the left and H-I on the right.
  7. The oldest burial is in strata Q. The second oldest is halfway in both B and C. The most recent burial is the shaft tomb, which extends from A to  D.

One thought on “W3 Reflection Post

1. I like your hypothesis about when the wall was built. I’ve noticed a similar idea on a few other student’s posts. I hypothesized something different, but looking at it now from you perspective, that seems to make a lot of sense. It’s definitely interesting that the structure was built over a burial site only to be eventually covered by another burial site. Maybe the structure itself was some sort of tomb? That would somewhat play into the narrative of that whole area being a multigenerational burial site.

I also didn’t even think about the burials being an example of filling due to the digging up, moving around, and refilling of the dirt. That’s an easily overlooked, but good point.